Possibly my last scrounge of 2010

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
Well today I finished getting this load of maple's, silver and either norway or sugar not real sure. I had to wheel it from the back yard around to the driveway, not fun. I managed 1 pick up load and 1 dump truck load so I'm hoping it's at least a 3/4cord when split. The home owner had it cut to various lengths so I will have to make it uniform but oh well. He also had them cut it all the way to kindling size so there are alot of small rounds 2-6" which I kinda like. Those larger rounds I won't split and they will make nice longer burns.

I don't have any "planned" scrounges lined up so if it's not oak or locust or similar I'm done bringing wood home for the year, no more room really.

Attachments

• last scrounge.jpg
    last scrounge.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 338
ckarotka nice score, looks like some nice wood.

zap

How much wood are you putting through your Englander in a season? How far ahead are you on wood?

Nice score, BTW!

I've been using two stoves for the last few years. This year my second stove got a liner and an EPA stove replacement so I will be burning in it more than years past (poor draft and old smoke dragon insert before). I'm planning on 3 cord a year. I will burn 24/7 all but 7 days a month due to work. If my math is right I should be two years ahead or very close to it.

ckarotka said:
I've been using two stoves for the last few years. This year my second stove got a liner and an EPA stove replacement so I will be burning in it more than years past (poor draft and old smoke dragon insert before). I'm planning on 3 cord a year. I will burn 24/7 all but 7 days a month due to work. If my math is right I should be two years ahead or very close to it.
That's almost exactly what I plan on burning and exactly where I wish I was with my supply. Right now I have about 3 1/2 cords on hand. I hope I'm estimating high for this winter, but there are three cords ready to go. hopefully I'm done with 2011-2012 supply by the time winter hits, then I'll start working on the 2012/2013 whenever I can. Hopefully I'm where you are in about a year.

Good job. Does it feel nice to be in a "picky" position when it comes to the type of wood you are willing to take on at this point?

It does feel good mentally but physically this year it hurts lol. Next year I should only scrounge what I use this year. Less pressure and I might restructure my yard to hold more incase I want/need to take a year off. New baby coming in 20 days or so. So next year the babysitting fee will double (if I scrounge during the week on my days off) so I wanted to be ahead before new baby came. I cut it close but made it.

No we don't know what sex the baby is and won't know till he/she arrives. You'd be surprised how few couples wait to find out according to the Doc. He can't wait to say "Its a €£¥¥£" because he said he hasn't said it in a very long time!

Nice score an congrats on the new baby.

that is amazing you will be using 2 stoves and burning 24/7 in nortwest pa and only using 3 cords. I am expecting to burn more in one stove and probably not burning 24/7 as often.

The second stove is for below 15* and when I want to plus it's really small. Two Medium small splits that's all you get. I burn loads all the way through. If that makes the house 75 ok if that makes the house 65 well ok put on a sweater. I don't run it hotter because it's colder. Last year I used about 2.5 cord and I was happy with my gas bills.

My average temp through winter is 20-30*f

Status
Not open for further replies.