potato skins

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
someone told me that if you burn potato skins it cleans creosote out of the pipes. I am sure this is not safe for pellet stoves correct or has any one done this.

chrisasst said:
someone told me that if you burn potato skins it cleans creosote out of the pipes. I am sure this is not safe for pellet stoves correct or has any one done this.

Hmmmm. I have had some very tasty potato skins as appetizers, cheese, bacon, sour cream................... Never noticed or checked my pipes but I am sure they cleaned something out.

Eric

It is an old tale that burning peeled skins will in fact dry up the stack. It does work but it should never be used in place of a good cleaning and it is just for wood stoves not pellet stoves.

chrisasst said:

So, you really AREN"T sure, are you?

It is an old rural tale. One of many good ones. Since dry skins burn fast and hot, and usually are in small supply, the intention was to clean out the chimney flue with high and quick heat. But not too long, before you light that flue pipe into a jet engine!

I'll check with some old local wood chucks, much older than me, to see if they know of the actual origin.

Besides, the skins of my wife's baked potatoes taste mighty good!

I thought it was the starch in the skins that dried out the stack???? . I say eat the skins and clean the stack by hand. I had a stack fire one time and man let me tell ya!!! wow.

kinsman stoves said:
chrisasst said:

Hmmmm. I have had some very tasty potato skins as appetizers, cheese, bacon, sour cream................... Never noticed or checked my pipes but I am sure they cleaned something out.

Eric

Not your arteries Eric! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.