Power failure while burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

worfandpizza

Hearth Supporter
Jul 14, 2009
Eastern PA
If the power goes out while there is a fire burning in the stove, is anything possibly damaged by the burning pellets slowly continuing their burn and then going out?

This was just discussed not long ago here.

If this happens, I hope you didn't use PVC for your OAK because the heat in the burn pot and fire box will back up into the OAK if you don't have a good vertical run to keep natural convection pulling air in and up.

Thank you for the link. I missed that thread. I heard the blower go off and then realized the stove was still glowing. I looked at the glowing pellets and thought "that's not supposed to happen". Then I realized there was a power failure. It is an insert and everything goes up the chimney. There was no smoke in the house. I was wondering if the concentrated heat would damage anything. It was installed by the dealer so I don't know what the OAK is made of, but there is a good vertical run.

worfandpizza said:
Thank you for the link. I missed that thread. I heard the blower go off and then realized the stove was still glowing. I looked at the glowing pellets and thought "that's not supposed to happen". Then I realized there was a power failure. It is an insert and everything goes up the chimney. There was no smoke in the house. I was wondering if the concentrated heat would damage anything. It was installed by the dealer so I don't know what the OAK is made of, but there is a good vertical run.

If he installed according to code and the installation manual the OAK is metal as is required.

The heat might have tripped the high temperature safety because the convection fan also stopped. There should be little chance of damage to the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.