Prefab Damper Removal/Replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rick-Mi

Aug 12, 2011
Michigan
I've got an FMI 42EC, it may have been built under the Majestic brand, but I'm not sure. It's a typical, (lousy) prefab unit . Anyway, I have need to remove and then replace the damper. The open/close lever bracket was easy enough, just a handful of screws. However, I can't figure out how to remove the damper itself. The damper plate pivots on a rod that is inserted into holes on each side of the flue, with no apparent way to remove the pivot rod.

Is there something I'm missing? How do you remove and replace the damper on these prefab fireplaces?

I've got an FMI 42EC, it may have been built under the Majestic brand, but I'm not sure. It's a typical, (lousy) prefab unit . Anyway, I have need to remove and then replace the damper. The open/close lever bracket was easy enough, just a handful of screws. However, I can't figure out how to remove the damper itself. The damper plate pivots on a rod that is inserted into holes on each side of the flue, with no apparent way to remove the pivot rod.

Is there something I'm missing? How do you remove and replace the damper on these prefab fireplaces?
You typically dont

Bholler, thank you for the reply. As a long time reader of this fine site, I'm aware they are not typically replaced and all the related issues. However, that's not the subject at hand. My only concern on this topic is the easiest way to remove and replace the damper. It looks like the pivot rod may be held in by a fabricated part of the unit that is installed and retained from the top and thus not accessible. It would be quick work with a reciprocating saw, but that means a lot more messing around coming up with a replacement rod when putting the damper back in.

With no access from the top, Is there an easy or easier way to remove/replace the damper or is the only alternative cutting the pivot rod?

Bholler, thank you for the reply. As a long time reader of this fine site, I'm aware they are not typically replaced and all the related issues. However, that's not the subject at hand. My only concern on this topic is the easiest way to remove and replace the damper. It looks like the pivot rod may be held in by a fabricated part of the unit that is installed and retained from the top and thus not accessible. It would be quick work with a reciprocating saw, but that means a lot more messing around coming up with a replacement rod when putting the damper back in.

With no access from the top, Is there an easy or easier way to remove/replace the damper or is the only alternative cutting the pivot rod?
Why are you removing it in the first place?

Most of them really are not serviceable