Prefab metal chimney with a wood chase?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solaron

Hearth Supporter
Mar 16, 2008
Adams County, Ohio
My parents are looking at installing another woodstove downstairs in their split level home. They're trying to find the most economical way to do it, and one of the suggestions was a prefab metal chimney with a wooden surround that they could then put siding on.

What are your thoughts on this? Also... what kind of pipe do they need? Double-wall? Triple-wall? Any help would be appreciated!

- Sol/Scott

Mine's a Metalbestes prefabricated that was easy to put in. That is an insulated double wall design. Then the chase is just framed around, meeting all the clearance requirements (at least 2 inches away, see their web site for designs)

http://www.selkirkcorp.com/

If you don't use that style, then I believe you have to go with triple wall. When I checked prices, there wasn't much different.

I have a friend that priced the prefab chimneys and went with a simple 16 inch square masonry chimney with a tile liner. But that depends on your local codes and what you can do instead of hiring others to do it.

That should get you started, good luck.

I did just that, built a wood chase, put prefabed double walled chimney inside then put siding to match the house on outside, worked great and looks good. I even built the chase around the prefabed fireplace. This way the fireplace actually sat outside the house and did not take up as much room inside.

You could just punch the chimney through the wall and go into a Tee, then run it up the side of the house to above the roof. You will need at least a double wall insulated class A HT pipe system. I would try this and if the stove drafts leave it alone. If you think the pipe is getting too cold and not drafting well build an insulates chase around and make sure to bring the chase inside the envelope of the house so it stays warm with the rest of house. I know of a few installs up the side of the house around here and they draft just fine, one is a basement and one is on the main floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.