Premium Pellets: Are they worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never really worried much about the "Good stuff" I just bought whatever was dirt cheap.

The only issue that has ever come along isd slightly more clinkers with the low budgit stuff.

I burn nut shells in our two Whitfields and have zero issues.

Out here in the Pacific NW, fir pellets are about all thats available, and the major brands are all pretty much the same.

I have tried the top $$$$$ stuff and saw zero difference between them and the cheap "white sack" stuff, except a slight bit more clinkering.

I would guess that some stuff some places is pretty much garbage, but I personally believe that the high end stuff is way over priced.

Snowy

Reactions: Markus38
Here's my experience after three years (not nearly as much as some here, but worth something):

Year one was with Hamer's Hot One's, a super premium out of Elkins, WV in the US, (from a company that uses the byproduct of furniture manufacturing, I believe). Great experience, great heat, with exceptionally low levels of ash. And the ash itself was more sand-like and "solid" (a good thing) rather than fine and flaky (messier cleanup when that happens).

Year two was CleanFire hardwood from WoodPellets.com. A bit less expensive and advertised as a premium, not super premium, pellet. A bit less heat in our view despite it being a very warm winter. Considerably more ash (about 2x, in my view, or a bit more). Not a bad pellet by any means, but not as good as the Hamer's. Nice experience with woodpellets.com, though.

Year three was CleanFire softwood (Pacific blend) mix. Discussed the lower amount of heat and more ash with woodpellets.com rep and she advised this mix based on personal experience. It did seem much hotter, but a LOT more ash, and the ash was very fine and flaky (so much messier) at cleanup.

Now, at the start of year four, I'm back to Hamer's. The Hamer's are a bit more expensive, but I can get them for only about 11% more than the box stores sell their pellets for, and the dealer will deliver AND STACK THEM inside my pellet shed for only a few dollars more. They just seem to give me the overall best value. I've never had a clinker from any of these pellets, which is different than what I've heard and read from those who buy lower quality pellets. I'm just not in favor of making this harder than it needs to be, for a couple of extra bucks saved. Makes for a very easy heating season.

Last two years I have been burning very cheap Green Supremes with lots and lots of ash. I had to clean my stove every 2 weeks. I also had to personally pick up the pellets from Lowes. Cleaning a Harman Advanced is not trivial with 7 pieces that have to be removed and put back together.

This year I purchased 1.5 ton of more expensive CleanFire softwood (Pacific Blend) and the slightly less expensive 1 ton of CleanFire Hardwood blend.

The CleanFire softwood (Pacific Blend) is AWESOME. I love these pellets. Very little ash, easy quick start, and could not believe how clean my stove was after 14 bags of this stuff compared to the dirty dirty dirty Green Supremes. Did I mention how dirty the Green Supremes are.

I am now trying the CleanFire hardwood pellets. The hardwood takes about 4 minutes longer to start in my Harman Advanced then the softwoods. The hardwood has more ash than the more expensive CleanFire softwood. The flame from the hardwood has some blue which indicates to me that their is some gas in the hardwood pellets which I assume is just an added freebee gas heat from this pellet.

Moral of the story you get what you pay for.

I really like the CleanFire softwood (Pacific Blend) from WoodPellets.org. Less wear on my stove and cleaner burn means my stove is a lot more efficient. I should have ordered these pellets early in the spring when they had the sale on. Next year I buy 3 tons of CleanFire softwood (Pacific Blend) on 2 pallets from WoodPellets.org. It gets delivered in front of my garage. Its simple and I am done.

I have one bag of Green Supremes left over and I don't even want it to go near my stove. Right before the next cleaning I will use this last bag of garbage. Never again.

Reactions: briansol
Status
Not open for further replies.