Pressurized tank install question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could be you don't have rebar being used in MA residential work. I tied off rebar for a whole summer, but that was in New York City and commercial work at that, and am not familar with residential practices up there. I've got a block foundation and put rebar in the footing myself. I still would not recommend weakening a corner, rebar or no, but could be wrong. Concrete has a lot of compressive strength to support weight, but not a lot of tensile strength, resistance to shear or bending. Solid corners would appear to help prevent the latter, and foundation cracks. Someone correct me if I'm off base here. I do tend to overbuild and exceed code requirements.

Mike

I'm with you Mike. I rebar every footer, vertical through any block walls before they get cored and extensively through the slabs.

For moving my tanks in my basement, I borrowed a pallet dolly from my farm store overnight to move two stacked 500 gallon tanks. You could move your boiler the same way. I was lucky (actually planned ahead). I have a 6 foot wide french door in a "walk out" basement. I was able to use my Bobcat to lift the tanks in to the basement and then lift a tank up and slide the other under it for stacking. When I was build I had the Bobcat in the basement to lift beams but I can't now that the door is installed.

If you cannot add to the side of the house (setbacks or other restrictions), the torpedo solution looks good.

I cut a foundation last week for a window install. I own an ICS saw, but was surprised to find taht you can rent them for under $100/day. The place I went to in NJ to get a chain also has some type of system for charging for chain use which was pretty reasonable. I cut in 2 - 36" x 48" windows in 8" concrete. 2 tanks of gas each window, total cutting time approx 90 minutes. Hang plastic inside, and have somebody in there with a wet vac if you try this. Concrete cutting contractors will charge a flat charge of 2-300, then a per foot charge of 30-50$ for this service.
Something that wasn't mentioned- put a well in - we use Wellcraft they are 20" tall, you might only need 1, then window or door, you're all set

I have a JD 4500 tractor. my neighbor who has 15 International tractors- down from 50 says JD paints them green so they can hide in the tall grass from the real tractors.

I have 2 500gallon tanks available, one is the fatter, shorter version, but I'd have to measure it for accuracy

Status
Not open for further replies.