1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Problem with gas fireplace

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by lesgoodwin, Oct 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lesgoodwin

lesgoodwin New Member

Loc:
    Maryland
    I have a Superior unvented fireplace. After burning for 10 minutes or so, it often sputters or the flame goes out. I can restart it immediately but it may go off again. The pilot continues to burn. I have cleaned the thermopile and it may be better for awhile, but then occurs again. I don"t have a voltmeter to check the thermopile. Any suggestions?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. R&D Guy

R&D Guy New Member

Keep a close eye on the pilot when it acts up and see if the flame to the thermopile goes out or blows off the probe. Sometimes when the fireplace gets heated up the air flow is increased enough to blow the pilot flame off the probe. If the flame remains strong then I'd look at replacing the thermopile.

This is a pretty good article describing how the pilot works and troubleshooting issues like yours.

http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/how_gas_works
  3. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    I'd say that your Oxygen Depletion Sensor in the pilot assembly has failed. I see 4-5 of these every year...
    Customer comes in & asks for a thermocouple. I pull out my lighter & multimeter & they always test 24mv min.
    You need to replace the entire pilot assembly...good luck finding one...
  4. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Make sure you get all the dust out of the pilot tube - and all areas around it. Yes, a simple solution, but once in a while it will work.
    Other than that, yes, you probably need the whole assembly. Vent frees. to my knowledge, are usually not fixable on a component bases.....

Superior is now part of Lennox.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.