problem with USSC 5510

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

urkiddin

Hearth Supporter
Dec 3, 2009
Southwest Vt.
this is my first year with a pellet stove so i'm kinda dumb about how it works.a problem i have is with shutdown.when i shut it down it goes thru it's motions (room fan shuts down and later the draft fan shuts off).what happens after is there still seems to be a few pellets smoldering and then smoke comes back into the room thru the air intake.i don't have a oa intake.wouldn't think this 100 yr old house would be that tight.i have a 3" vent-2ft horizontal and 4ft vertical.i've burnt about 20 bags in it so far this year and brushed out the vent last week.i'm wondering if the draft fan is shutting off to soon.

no it's happened before.

one work around that i've tryed is to open the hopper lid so it stops feeding and wait for it to go out.that seems to help.

Sounds like the combustion blower shuts off to quick.

Have you tried stirring the pot just before you shut it down? Or quickly turn it on then back off to keep the blower running longer. A trick you used to have to do with the older Quads(I would cycle my t stat on - off and the blower would run for a few more minutes).

jay

I've never timed it but my 6039i comb. fan runs for quite a while after I shut her down.Never had a problem like you describe. Have you called US Stove ? Maybe they have a fix for ya. They have been pretty helpful the few times I have called.

Schoondog

jtakeman said:

Have you tried stirring the pot just before you shut it down? Or quickly turn it on then back off to keep the blower running longer. A trick you used to have to do with the older Quads(I would cycle my t stat on - off and the blower would run for a few more minutes).

jay

i've tried stirring the burnpot before i shut it down.that helps too.like i said in my first post that opening the hopper lid and waiting for the remaining pellets to burn out then hitting the off buttom seems to work most of the time.what i'm wondering though is what's going to happen if there is a power outage.wonder if a longer verticle pipe would help or even going to a 4" vent.i'd hate to have to add a oa intake cause that involves going thru a brick wall.

urkiddin said:
jtakeman said:

jay

i've tried stirring the burnpot before i shut it down.that helps too.like i said in my first post that opening the hopper lid and waiting for the remaining pellets to burn out then hitting the off buttom seems to work most of the time.what i'm wondering though is what's going to happen if there is a power outage.wonder if a longer verticle pipe would help or even going to a 4" vent.i'd hate to have to add a oa intake cause that involves going thru a brick wall.

Going up with the vent would help. Just watch the EVL. May need to go to 4" anyway. With out the OAK your going to get some smoke in the house in an outage. Probably no way around that one. As for the standard shut down. I would do what scoondog said. Contact USS and see if they have an upgraded board or a different program to make the comb blower run longer at the end of the cycle. That would cure the everyday issue.

As for the OAK no OAK you would have to do a simulated power outage and see. I would wait for a warmer day though! Just in case the windows need to be opened. Have a window fan handy. But I can say that with the oak on my stove I get just a smiggen of smoke in my house with a simulated power outage. The vent and the OAK handle the large majority of it. The only smoke I get is from the air wash windows. Extremly small leaks. More of a smell than a visual issue.

We had this problem twice also.
I found that a combination of crappy pellets and not having the draft fan set manually that I would get
a lot of smodering ash in the pot. Try adjusting the draft fan up 2 notches from the heat setting
and see if that helps. Also check under the burnpot and make sure it's clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.