Problems with carbon build up on Enviro Omega

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelby

Jan 3, 2008
Newfoundland
I have an Enviro Omega and I installed it last winter and it worked excellent. At the end of the season, I purchased some pellets and after, I noticed a build up of carbon on my stove. I blamed this on poor quality of pellets. I have started my stove again for this season with new pellets. My glass is carboning up quickly. My problem is, how do I get rid of the carbon build up. The inside of my stove is covered in a layer of carbon and it is causing me some concern. The air damper sticks and the ash pot is difficult to remove. I removed my exhaust pipe and cleaned that.

Shelby: A couple things come to my mind--the quality and moisture content of your pellets--and the settings of the stove, ie, burn rate vs combustion air rate. It sounds like the stove may be burning too lazy and cool, thus preventing complete combustion, which will lead to carbon and creosote buildup. Try a period of hot burns with lots of combustion air and see if that lessens the carbon. I am no pellet stove expert but have been around wood fires since before dirt. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.