Propane hearth burning paint?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walnut Bottom

Dec 19, 2014
Carlisle, PA
I have a Vermont Castings UVS27 unvented propane stove. It was a display unit in a stove shop. I bought it from the owner's wife after the store closed. I hooked it up yesterday for the first time. It let off a lot of odor. Opening it up today to look for problems, I discovered some of the paint burned away, near the pilot light. When I first ran the stove, for about 20 minutes, I had the log near this point incorrectly placed such that it interfered with the paint, so that could be the cause of the paint burning. However, it continued to smell even after I had the logs placed correctly.

It also concerns me that the bracket in front of the pilot light glows red, even in what I think is correct operation. Given its placement, practically in the middle of the flame, I guess it would, but it seems like an odd design to me.

My plan is to clean off the damaged paint and then try running the stove with no logs for an hour or two. Since I don't have much experience, I just wanted to ask if that seems like a reasonable approach, or if anybody notices something that I'm missing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 11.00.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 11.00.41 AM.png
    266.4 KB · Views: 152
Status
Not open for further replies.