Proper settings for fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rampdog

Hearth Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
South
Hello all! I have a EZ-insert MH-11313 fireplace insert. This insert has two pull-out knobs that control the damper and air intake at the bottom that slides left or right to open and close slots to adjust air intake. This stove has been used to heat a 2 story home for the past 20 yrs. In fact the upstairs heat hasn't worked in 20 years lol. I have always been told that once a fire is going to close the damper by pulling out the knobs then push them in just a little to slightly open it. The air intake at the bottom is usually left wide open until a good set of hot coals is achieved then closed almost all the way to cause a slow burn (especially at night to keep the logs burning longer). but from what Ive read this slow burn is no good. Can someone fill me in as the best way to set this thing so that I achieve maximum efficiency. I acquired the home from my parents and its always the way we have done it. Thanks.

I'm not familiar with your partcular stove & couldn't find any diagrams on line. However, I find it pretty easy to tell if I set the stove too low (not enoungh air). The wood remains largly intact as a log of black coal. If it burns down to ash and glowing coals; then your fine. This time of the year, you probably don't want to close the air off all the way--you need the heat. You may have to reload the stove during the night if you want to keep house temps comfortable.
All this assumes you have properly seasoned wood--a year or more of cut/split/stacked. Knock some peices togather--if the sound is a "thud"--bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.