Protector for tile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pledgercraft

Nov 18, 2014
I was wondering what some of you have used to spread out the load of the stove legs to keep any "tile" from breaking? Anyone? Bueller? Anything "decorative"? "She" wants a ceramic tile for stove hearth I am building and My stove the englander 30nc has just bolt heads for leveling and I think these will crack the tile. SO I need to come up with something "pretty" to set the stove legs on..............SMH....

If the tile is set correctly on a stiff base that can't deflect there should be no need for extra protection. There are many 30NC's here on tile and stone hearths. Our T6 stove weighs 125# more and is on a tile hearth. No worries mate.

Last edited:
What BeGreen said . . . it all starts and ends with a rigid base. Build it right and there shouldn't be any cracked tiles or stone.

Our tile has yet to creak, crack or show any stress at all.. and the Manny ain't no light weight. Proper substrate and bedding.

I've seen Grand Pianos set on tile. I wouldn't worry.

First tile I ever laid was for the stove. No problems here either.

Reactions: Dakotas Dad
I just over build/worry I guess.... 475 lb stove on 4 points no bigger than 3/8 of an inch on shiny ceramic tile. Hearth is built of 2x4 frame with 3/4 OSB then 4 layers of 1/2 Durock next gen. thinset in between ea layer. then 1/4 inch ceramic tile all set in thinset mortar. However that "l20lbs " of 4 legs with bolt heads less that 3/8 of an inch setting on "shiny" ceramic tile has me worried...Thanks for the input! Can I hold ya'll responsible? LOL!

They make glass hearth pads for stoves. The tile is not going to shatter under a static load. A good porcelain tile is tough.

I just over build/worry I guess.... 475 lb stove on 4 points no bigger than 3/8 of an inch on shiny ceramic tile. Hearth is built of 2x4 frame with 3/4 OSB then 4 layers of 1/2 Durock next gen. thinset in between ea layer. then 1/4 inch ceramic tile all set in thinset mortar. However that "l20lbs " of 4 legs with bolt heads less that 3/8 of an inch setting on "shiny" ceramic tile has me worried...Thanks for the input! Can I hold ya'll responsible? LOL!

Nothing wrong with over building and worrying when it comes to a project like this . . . me . . . I'm just plain lazy . . . I hated the idea of having to rip up the tile and put more down if it went wrong.

And as for over building . . . my wife says I do that constantly.

Just make sure that you have a solid base. I have a 700 pound Progress Hybrid and there is no cracking on the tile.

My grout lines cracked from the entire raised hearth settling, but the tiles themselves have held very well, and I have large 19" tiles and a 450# stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.