pump speed control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chuck172

Minister of Fire
Apr 24, 2008
Sussex County, NJ
Will inexpensive variable speed controllers work on taco pumps?
I'm talking about those cheap router speed controls that can be bought on ebay for 15-20$.

chuck172 said:
Will inexpensive variable speed controllers work on taco pumps?
I'm talking about those cheap router speed controls that can be bought on ebay for 15-20$.

I use a switch with a slide bar that is used for a celing fan control. I spoke with a tech from Taco and he said as long as it is a controller for a 120v motor it is fine.

Just a note of caution--

Routers' motors are generally brush-type "universal motors" (that name comes from the fact that they'll run off of either alternating or direct current), which are very tolerant of any sort of speed control; some speed controls that may work fine for such universal motors may not work, or have good effects, on a motor such as a circulator's motor, that is dependent upon being fed AC. Ceiling fan type speed controls are definitely designed to be used with motors that need AC.

I'm not saying that I'm certain that the router-type speed control couldn't work with a circulator- I suspect that it's an "it depends" on the speed control, and I might try it, but proceed with caution. The difference in $$$ in getting a speed control (such as one for an AC fan) may be worth it in not risking premature failure of a circ at a bad time.

Ok, now how about a contol box with temperature sensors that will vary the speed of the circulator depending on the delta. I'm wondering if the loss in electricity to the dimmer/slider will be made up in savings from the pump. I've got 6 taco 007 circulators, and my biggest zone has a delta of less than 7 degrees, so I know I'm pushing too much water too quickly.

btuser said:
Ok, now how about a contol box with temperature sensors that will vary the speed of the circulator depending on the delta. I'm wondering if the loss in electricity to the dimmer/slider will be made up in savings from the pump. I've got 6 taco 007 circulators, and my biggest zone has a delta of less than 7 degrees, so I know I'm pushing too much water too quickly.

I use mine to control my delta T

I was hoping an Arduino geek would come through with the homebuilt circ/delta t controller.

+1

An Arduino solution would be cool for integration into overall system control. I've often thought I could increase the usefulness of my storage by controlling pump speed based on return water temperature. This same type of VS controller would also work on a draft fan (as long as it's a permanent split capacitor motor) to control stack temp. I don't think it would be hard to do, the simple VS controllers are just an SCR or triac that is used to lower the voltage to the motor. As far as I know it's a simple circuit, but I don't have enough electrical background to figure out all of the details. If I ever get around to buying one of these setups I plan on asking one of my EE friends at work for an example circuit to play with.

The simplest (and maybe cheapest) way I can think to do it with arduino would be to use 1-wire sensors, a three speed pump (like the Grundfos 15-58) moded like Nofo does so that each speed gets its own AC feed via relays. That means that with the right arduino code (not hard to come up with) you could switch between the three pump speeds based on comparing the temp of two (or as many as you want) sensors. It would be inexpensive to do (especially if you already have the 3-speed pump)... I would be happy to help out with it if someone wants to try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.