Purging air out of a Solo 40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dougcarlo

Hearth Supporter
Jul 29, 2008
Interior Alaska
I need some suggestions on how to purge my Solo 40. I have tried a couple of different times and different locations with a glycol pump and I still have air in it. The reason I think I have air in is, when I am towards the high limit shut off, when it is hot, I can hear like a rumble in it. I have a coin vent on the boiler and a 1.25 Honeywell air seperator on my return line. Thanks Doug

Your air separator should be on the send line at the highest point. Mine is on just above my expansion tank up by my basement ceiling. The air sometimes takes a while to get entirely out of the system. It has to slowly make its way to that high point. If you separator is down low, it will not purge any air.

My return is the higher than my supply, so that is the reason I put it on the return line. My 40 sits about two feet lower than my fuel boiler, so I figured I would put it on my highest point. My diagram from Tarm folks say to put it on the supply line but my return was about a 1.5 higher. I may have re-do it next summer. Doug

Did you open the coin vent when the boiler was at full temp? The manual says to do that and when I did it I got some more air out than I had gotten when it was cold.

Air seperator work best in little to no pressure. That is why they are installed on the suction side of your supply pump.

Do you have any other high points where air may be blocking movement of water? Small manual or those small automatic air vents are commonly installed at all high points, if they cannot be vented by other means.

I think I would install the Honeywell purger into the supply line. They work best when the water is at it's hottest. To that, add a scoop or high point air vent at high point in return line. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.