Quad misfires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

In the shop

Oct 24, 2017
London, Ontario
Hello fellow pellet burners. Wonder if someone can help here. Got a Mt Vernon and love it. Some times I don’t. She has a lazy start and some times will not and needs some help. Pot is clean red lightly is on and no go. I’m wondering if there is a better igniter. Any ways I’m rambling. Any help would be appreciated.

Little more info would help. I assume this is an old style Mt. Vernon (non AE). Are you saying it doesn't want to start sometimes? Are you trying to start in low setting? Have you used a small mirror and flashlight and looked at the igniter slit in bottom of firepot, to see if there is any blockage? Have you pulled the igniter and made sure the housing is clear of any ash, that could be blocking the super heated air that starts the fuel? Is it old fule that could be damp? Is pot floor closing all the way? Just some things to check. kap

Hey Kap, yah she’s on old style. On restarts it’s not on low. Normally 3, slit is clear. Pulled ignitor no issues. New fuel from yesterday. Fire pot is closed.

We all get the dreaded CSS(cold stove startup) where it just doesn't quite get going. Usually after it starts once, and there is ash in the pot, they seem to start ok then. And Quad recommends not starting on low as they will misfire a lot. They say to usually start it in mid range and after it gets going, to put it to low or high. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. kap

Reactions: In the shop
So after I did all of what you suggested she’s been good all day. I suspect my view of a clean pot may have to change. Thanks for your help Kap.