Quadra-Fire 4100 install - have a question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lfunk11

Jan 8, 2010
Morgantown, WV
I have a Heatilator EM-415 and I checked the manual and it appeared to have plenty of room, but when I started taking off the doors, etc it looked small. Got out the tape measure and the wood stove is not going to fit with the ceramic plates in the old fireplace. Can I take those out? I figure I could, but wanted to make sure before I did. I am sure I will have more questions, but I need to figure this out first.

You can not remove the the brick liner only the decorative options are allowed to be removed. but double check you owners man. to confirm as i dont know what 4100 you have!

just to be clear, I am not looking to remove the ceramic bricks from inside of the Quadra-fire. I want to remove the ceramic "bricks" from inside the old zero clearance heatilator that is in there. I am pretty sure I told the guy at the store what I had and if it would fit and he said yes, but its been about 4-5 months since then. :(

see page 11 you can not remove the brick panel from the FP the following can be removed
Damper
Smoke Shelf or Baffle
Ember Catches
Fire Grate
Viewing Screen/Curtain
Doors

Hmmm... The opening in the Em415 is supposed to be 23 1/2" tall and the Quad is supposed to be 21 5/8" tall. Which dimension are you talking about not being big enough? Height? Width? Depth?

if i had to guess it is depth that doesnt fit

it doesn't matter, its not going to fit even with the ceramic removed. I checked the dimensions in the manual, but those are the external dimensions. The actual firebox is much smaller than that (ther back wall is the issue). I should have measured the inside myself, but I did ask the guy at the store exactly which stoves would fit into my fireplace and even brought the manual with me from my fireplace. I just hope they are going to work with me and take this back. The one issue is that when we were moving it we had straps on and it slightly dented the outside metal lips of the stove. I think the 2700I will fit, but I now worry if that is big enough. I don't even want to see what size wood will fit since I have 3-4 cords of wood cut and stacked at 16".

I just started looking at the quadrafire 7100. From the 5 minutes looking at it I think I can rip out the old heatilator since that has its own box and is designed to be zero clearance?

I will call the store tomorrow - they better take this back or trade it in.

if you dont mind spending the money for the 7100 that would be the biggest heater you could get for that. they should not give you a hard time about returning it some what there fault i would say if it had been bought at my store would not be a big deal!

OK - now I think it might fit. The depth is roughly 20", but the stove is roughly 16" and thus it will not reach all the way back to the back wall. I am going to cut a piece of carboard to the exact size of the stove and try that. Sorry for all the confusion thus far - if the stove were 20lbs I would slide it in and see, but we all know its MUCH more than that! I only want to slide it in once.

To be continued...

good luck depth ismore like 17 measure your depth and width at that point best way to figure it out

Status
Not open for further replies.