Quadra-Fire almost ready for move in day.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
Hi guys,
I am preparing to remove the old Franklin stove on my upstairs hearth to make room for my Quadra-Fire 4300 ACT. The Quad was originally installed in the insulated basement where the Ideal Steel has taken over.

I was going to sell the Quad, but given that I won't get much for it, I figured why not scrap the Franklin and keep it in the house.

I plan to use it only for the occasional really cold days. The Ideal Steel handles heating the house just fine and proved itself last winter. This would just be for added comfort as needed.

It will go in to the masonry chimney with single wall stove pipe possibly 2 45 degree elbows. It would be about a 25" height to the elbow with a horizontal section. Then 15' up the clay lined chimney. the clay liner is in perfect shape and has been looked at by a sweep.

First off, I know this is not ideal. I realize that double wall pipe with an insulated stainless steel liner is the way to go. I just have no budget for this project. It will be 90% a cosmetic part of the room. I already own the single wall pipe from its previous install. I did buy a new baffle board, blanket for it. I did the bricks, and door seal for it a year ago. I need to clean it up and polish it.

For an occasional fire on a 10 degree or below day will this work? If not, it will purely be a decorative piece. The Franklin always worked and didn't smoke the place out. I love the look of the Franklin, but the Quad is safer and more modern.

Ignore the messy living room. I just got done painting the wall around the hearth.

Attachments

• 20150726_190938.jpg
    20150726_190938.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 20150726_191005.jpg
    20150726_191005.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
You don't want to dump into a large, short chimney, especially with a couple 90 deg. turns. The Quad will not be happy with that setup and draft could be poor which could affect secondary burning. What is the size of the clay liner in the chimney?

You don't want to dump into a large, short chimney, especially with a couple 90 deg. turns. The Quad will not be happy with that setup and draft could be poor which could affect secondary burning. What is the size of the clay liner in the chimney?

It's a 7x11 inside. I might eventually get it lined. Yeah I kind of figured it won't like it. Atleast I've got 3 years of seasoned wood.
I would only burn it when the draft is good and do only hot burns.

I think I better stop using that Franklin before it takes off and burns the house down.

At least you understand the caveats and can work with them. It may be ok. You won't know till you try. Keep the chimney clean and only burn fully seasoned wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.