Quadra Fire blower surge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vsnider

Dec 27, 2013
Seattle
We just purchased a used (2 years old, like new condition) Quadra Fire 1200-1 insert. Works great, but the room blower surges up and down. It blows strong for about 30 seconds, then powers down (not off), for about a minute or so.

Father-in-law called factory, they say it's normal due to heat displacement?

We have tried different settings. This does not seem normal, and the stove is going through a bag of pellets in less than 24 hours, thermostat is set at 65 in a small front room area.The whole house is only about 1300 sq. ft. so it's not heating a large area, and outside temps are fairly mild.

All of the connections are tight. The hopper was cleaned and seems to be working fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

My 1200i does not surge on any setting. Does not sound normal to me. I go through a bag a day yet the temps here are as low as 5 degrees at night. Mine does the entire house set on medium. When you say blower are you referring to the convection fan or combustion fan?

The convection fan is surging. We live in the Seattle area and the temps here are generally in the high 30s to high 40s. None of this seems normal to me.

Sounds like a bad snap disc, hopefully. It's a cheap fix or check.

Check the voltage going INTO the snap disc to ground and see if it surges on and off. If it does, then the control box is turning it on and off (bad news).

If it stays steady, then check the other purple wire that runs to the blower and see if it goes on and off. If it does, then get a new snap disc.

Last edited:
The combustion fan after start up will idle down just a bit just enough you hear a change in fan speed but that is the only fan speed variation I have noticed when the unit is running. I would start with a complete cleaning before anything. including removing the fans, replacing the gasket, removing the clean out plates, blowing out the vacuum line, etc etc etc.

Last edited:
The convection fan after start up will idle down just a bit just enough you hear a change in fan speed but that is the only fan speed variation I have noticed when the unit is running. I would start with a complete cleaning before anything. including removing the fans, replacing the gasket, removing the clean out plates, blowing out the vacuum line, etc etc etc.
I think you're talking about the combustion fan, mralias. :)

I think you're talking about the combustion fan, mralias. :)
Duhhhh. Fingers type faster than brain. Thanks for the correction.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Status
Not open for further replies.