Quadra-FIRE Fire pot.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyd

Feeling the Heat
Aug 8, 2008
Hughesville Md
Looking and feeling around the burn pot of my Quad Castile, I noticed the square corners and some burrs around the outside edges of the holes. I was wondering if chamfering and de-burring the holes in the burn pot would cut down on the howling and whistling while burning. Any thoughts.

tonyd said:
Looking and feeling around the burn pot of my Quad Castile, I noticed the square corners and some burrs around the outside edges of the holes. I was wondering if chamfering and de-burring the holes in the burn pot would cut down on the howling and whistling while burning. Any thoughts.

Maybe....might allow airflow to be smoother. Why not try it and let everyone here know how you made out? It might be the holes, then again, it might not.

It's possible that the burrs, etc., may be the cause of the slight whistling we hear as well. If you want to tackle removing the burn pot and deburring it then post your results I would be all ears. It certainly couldn't hurt unless you damaged the gasket under the burn pot.

Good thinking!

Steve

I'm thinking it should work. It would be like blowing over a piece of pipe, verses over something with rounded edges. My only concern is whether the holes are drilled or casted to create a certain or specific air flow. If they are drilled just for volume, then cleaning them up SHOULD help.
What are your thoughts? Does anyone know the price of a burn pot and gasket? Just in case!!!

Its about $229 for a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.