1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Quadra-FIRE Fire pot.

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by tonyd, Sep 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tonyd

tonyd Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Hughesville Md
    Looking and feeling around the burn pot of my Quad Castile, I noticed the square corners and some burrs around the outside edges of the holes. I was wondering if chamfering and de-burring the holes in the burn pot would cut down on the howling and whistling while burning. Any thoughts.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. imacman

imacman Guest

Maybe....might allow airflow to be smoother. Why not try it and let everyone here know how you made out? It might be the holes, then again, it might not.
  3. Shortstuff

Shortstuff Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Southeastern MA
    It's possible that the burrs, etc., may be the cause of the slight whistling we hear as well. If you want to tackle removing the burn pot and deburring it then post your results I would be all ears. It certainly couldn't hurt unless you damaged the gasket under the burn pot.

Good thinking!

Steve
  4. tonyd

tonyd Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Hughesville Md
    I'm thinking it should work. It would be like blowing over a piece of pipe, verses over something with rounded edges. My only concern is whether the holes are drilled or casted to create a certain or specific air flow. If they are drilled just for volume, then cleaning them up SHOULD help.
    What are your thoughts? Does anyone know the price of a burn pot and gasket? Just in case!!!
  5. mralias

mralias Minister of Fire

Loc:
    MA
    Its about $229 for a new one.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.