1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Quadra-Fire Mt Vernon Pellet Stove won't light

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Mir77, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Mir77

Mir77 New Member

I am reluctant to remove all the wires and then remove the cover from the control board. It makes me nervous. Are there any recommended tools? I am not an electrician by any means but a problem solver, nonetheless. I definitely cannot afford the $678 at this time if it is the control board.

When the stove is plugged in, the lights on the control board are on, i.e. the red call to the thermostat light flashes, so there must be some part of it working. Pellets keep dropping, and subsequently dumping into the ash drawer — just no red glow, no flame, no fire.

I seem to recall reading that there is a manual setting on the thermostat control, at which point I could light the pellets by hand. Does anyone have any advice on this point before I can get a technician/fix the problem?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. heat seeker

heat seeker Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CT
    For the cost of a tech and/or a new board, I'd manually light the stove.
  3. LMPS

LMPS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Coastal, Maine
    You can do a manual light. Let it drop some pellets in the fire pot, open the door use the fire gel and light them ( I would also ad a handful of pellets at this point). Watch the fire you may have to put some more gel on and/or add some pellets manually. It does take a little long for it to build the fire this way but it does work.
  4. Harvey Schneider

Harvey Schneider Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    There's a good chance it is both, but the open trace wins. Of course the trace has to be checked and restored first if necessary, but I would put money on the triac being toast.
  5. Harvey Schneider

Harvey Schneider Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    But then you lose the convenience of automated operation
  6. Mir77

Mir77 New Member

I replaced the fuse and it was clearly toast. So far so good. It has been running smoothly for a couple hours now. Thanks, everyone, for your help!
  7. tz0zk6

tz0zk6 Member

Loc:
    Michigan
    Hello,

I did the same thing. The new ignitors that I bought had short wires with no plugs on the end. I soldered the old wires with plugs and covered the joint with the ceramic cloth wire covering that is on the ignitor units. Being lazy I did not glue or tape the cloth and my ash drawer nicked the wire and created a spark. Since then my ignitor will not blow. I suspect that I too popped the fuse.

Did you find the ignitor fuse inside the black control box? were you able to get it open without unplugging the mass of wires connecting to it? Seeking some advice on how to tackle this problem as you did. Is it a normal automotive type fuse or clear glass tube type?

lighting manually for now

Thanks!
  8. onmyown

onmyown New Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    Hi! I hope you're still out there somewhere Mir77. I have same problem and have replaced igniter thus far. How did you replace the fuse? We have an insert and it is DARNED hard to even get to the control board let alone free it from blower and still keep all the connections in place. Tell me your magic trick! Please!
  9. Mir77

Mir77 New Member

Yes, it is a pain, but very worth it. It is most likely a burned out fuse. You can order them on ebay for a couple bucks. The tricky part is that you have to remove each wire from the control board and remove the box completely to locate the fuse and replace it. I took the time to number each wire and each insertion so that I could make sure I could get them back the right way. That was me probably being overcautious as each one is a different shape and color, but it worked for me.

I would unplug the stove and then remove the back right panel. Then remove each of the wires to free the box. Once you locate the fuse you will be able to tell if it is fried because it will look burnt inside.

I hope this helps. You may want to find the QuadraFire Troubleshooting Manual online or there may be other documentation but you might have to dig. I think they like for customers to use technicians. But I felt so victorious to be able to fix it myself.

Good Luck!

Miriam
  10. tsmith

tsmith Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kutztown, PA
    Here is the manual.

Attached Files: