Quadrafire Castile (2001) model smoke in house after Exaust pipe replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fish__

Sep 24, 2014
NH
Ok first post but I have been a lurker here for the past year and found many of the post very helpful.

I bought a house last fall with a Quadrafire Castile. I was having a problem with the siding being stained and soot being pulled into the window next to the Exhaust. In researching the solution to these I found that the exhaust is two close to the windows and the siding (as well as the ground). I have found the previous owner was a hack with all of the work he did on the house. Exhaust exited out the back of the stove no vertical rise. No Oak is in use at this time.

Any way I have purchased several new 3" pellet stove exhaust pipe sections and vent cap to bring me above the windows and far enough away from the house. However the original pipe was rusted onto the 3" pipe extending from the stove and there was a good amount of force required for the removal. There was maybe a 1/4" of play in the exhaust outlet from the stove. Is this normal? I installed the new pipe with High temp RTV sealant and stainless screw. When I fired up the stove there was a small amount of smoke coming from the back of the stove (inside the house, wife was not happy....) . Looking at the diagram there is a junction where the exhaust attaches to the blower motor.

I think either these parts have become separated or I need to do a better job at sealing the exhaust? Or both?

How hard is it to get to these parts to check looking at the diagram I get the impression I have to take half/all the stove apart.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

upload_2014-9-24_11-31-9.png

Last edited:
A good and proper cleaning and sealing to give yourself a good seal and peace of mind. Its still early in the season to not skimp or try and take short cuts. Take the stove outdoors and do what you need and get to know the unit.

Just to follow up on this. It turned out the there is 4 screws that hold on item 56(exhaust outlet) to 36 (blower) the joint is then sealed with RTV. Not the most robust design in my opinion. I had to tear apart most of the stove to get to the blower housing. It turned out that there was a leak in the RTV seal. I had to remove the blower and housing and replace the gasket. I cleaned and painted both the housing and resealed with RTV. In total took a couple of hours. Would have been less but had to figure out how to take it apart.

Hands on is the best teacher. Sounds like you will have a good running unit for the winter. kap

Nice ! Have you fired it up and found no smoke now ?

Status
Not open for further replies.