Quadrafire Contour Fire Pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Williebee

Oct 21, 2019
NY
I have a 2003 Quadrafire Contour.
It's been working great up until now. The base plate inside the fire compartment that the fire box is mounted on rusted out.
I took out the fire box, and I'm going to replace the floor plate with new sheet metal.
(hey $10 of metal vs $1500 for a new stove)
I've read that the fire box lasts 8-10 years before needing replacement.
Mine works fine. How do I know if it needs replacing. Obviously I'll replace the gasket and bolts.
I clean the holes all the time and the ash cleanout plate opens and closes properly.
Thanks in advance.

im a firm believer if it ain't broke don't fix it, if the holes are good and it hasn't worn through i would run it till it does need replacement

Thanks.
If I don't mess it up getting the old bolts off that are stuck in the fire pot , I'll just clean it up and reuse it.
As to replacing the floor plate, I'm assuming regular sheet metal the same gauge and cutting out the fire pot holes.
I was going to screw down the new sheet metal to the old floor plate and seal it around the edges.
The firebox obviously isn't pressure sealed since it draws air through the holes which are above the removable ash draw.
Do you think high temp silicone (~600 degrees) will survive? Or, should I use high temp cement rated for 2000 degrees.
I'm not sure how high the temp is around the edges inside the firebox.
I'll try to post pictures... I know everybody loves pictures :)

I have a 2003 Quadrafire Contour.
It's been working great up until now. The base plate inside the fire compartment that the fire box is mounted on rusted out.
I took out the fire box, and I'm going to replace the floor plate with new sheet metal.
(hey $10 of metal vs $1500 for a new stove)
I've read that the fire box lasts 8-10 years before needing replacement.
Mine works fine. How do I know if it needs replacing. Obviously I'll replace the gasket and bolts.
I clean the holes all the time and the ash cleanout plate opens and closes properly.
Thanks in advance.
I have a Contour also, can you post pics?

That’s three contours I know of in existence. First time I saw the only one I’ve seen in person I was like, “Who stuck an oven on this Santa Fe?”

Reactions: kappel15
Here is a few of my pics
Let’s see yours?
We call this stove the pie warmer!

last pic is a 10” blueberry pie :)

Attachments

• 6B057103-0297-4A2B-9AA8-8E0DB4D39B9A.png
    6B057103-0297-4A2B-9AA8-8E0DB4D39B9A.png
    628 KB · Views: 149
  • 52EF98FD-4382-45C6-BC83-A5F1C14049E4.png
    52EF98FD-4382-45C6-BC83-A5F1C14049E4.png
    462.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 82DBFF84-FD53-48D9-85E2-EE5462DC3973.png
    82DBFF84-FD53-48D9-85E2-EE5462DC3973.png
    526 KB · Views: 166
  • 058B7E44-7F6A-4452-9D2E-FE2D9E8C8CD9.png
    058B7E44-7F6A-4452-9D2E-FE2D9E8C8CD9.png
    628.6 KB · Views: 154
  • AB6AC4E8-D0F9-4928-A98D-AD2E9D6C203B.png
    AB6AC4E8-D0F9-4928-A98D-AD2E9D6C203B.png
    313.8 KB · Views: 156
LOL, pie warmer. My Contours heats the downstairs family room.
If I put a pie in there, it would be gone before I got up the stairs.
I throw my gloves in there after shoveling snow.

Parts came in, starting the repair. Will take pics.

Very nice
What is the red stuff??

Owner of the store I worked for has a contour. It is a food warmer. Nice job on repairing that stove. kap

Nice job!!:cool:

Red stuff -
I had high temp silicone and sealed the base around the edges to keep ash from getting in between the original floor and the new plate.
Did I need it, I don't know. The anal part of my brain had kicked in at the moment. :)
After taking it all apart and cleaning it really good, it heats better too.

Reactions: kappel15
Red stuff -
I had high temp silicone and sealed the base around the edges to keep ash from getting in between the original floor and the new plate.
Did I need it, I don't know. The anal part of my brain had kicked in at the moment. :)
After taking it all apart and cleaning it really good, it heats better too.
If the ash pan has a good gasket on it, then you do not need it, but still good to have so the Ashes will not fall outside the ash pan in the bottom of the stove.

If the ash pan has a good gasket on it, then you do not need it, but still good to have so the Ashes will not fall outside the ash pan in the bottom of the stove.
ya, for the convection fan to pick up and redistribute around the house. lol