1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Quadrafire first fire

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by jjk454ss, Oct 19, 2013.

1. jjk454ss

jjk454ss Member

I'm following the directions, pushing the reset button every 2 minutes until it starts to feed pellets. How long should this take? It's making no noise besides the fan, it's been maybe 12-14 minutes so far, not too long, but it see nothing in the manual telling me if this takes 2 minutes or 2 hours.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. reallyte

reallyte Member

Loc:
    Binghamton, ny
    It should only take 2-3 reset cycles to see pellets drop starting with an empty augur. You should hear the augur motor run for at least 10s each startup cycle.
  3. jjk454ss

jjk454ss Member

Any ideas if I don't hear the auger at all? It's still not dropping pellets or making an noise except the fan.
  4. LMPS

LMPS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Coastal, Maine
    Which Quadrafire do you have?
  5. Caribfan

Caribfan Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    I have a Mt Vernon AE. If the hopper happens to run empty, place a couple of handfuls of pellets in the burnpot then fire it up. Even with "priming the burnpot" it usually takes 2-3 restarts to get a stead flow of pellets but prime the burnpot on each restart until you get a steady flow. I cant hear my auger motor run as the AE is one of the quietest stoves there is. All the restarts made me nervous too the first time I let the hopper run dry.
  6. jjk454ss

jjk454ss Member

Its a classic bay. I'll try the handful of pellets in the burnpot and see if that works. Thanks
  7. jjk454ss

jjk454ss Member

That's worked, it's finally feeding pellets. Thanks

Now to readjust the feed rate.
  8. jjk454ss

jjk454ss Member

Well, it started up, then went out. I think maybe I didn't put enough pellets in the burn pot? I out more, maybe too many, and I'm trying it again. Got a pretty big fire and lots of smoke this time. It's better, but still smoking a bit.
  9. Woody1911a1

Woody1911a1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    is this stove new or used ?
  10. jjk454ss

jjk454ss Member

It's new. And it just went out again, I'm not sure why, but it's still not feeding, although I swear I saw a couple pellets drop in the first time I tried.
  11. DBCOOPER

DBCOOPER Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Stowe, Pa
    You don't need to prime the pot. Just press the reset. Is there a call for heat?
  12. jjk454ss

jjk454ss Member

The red light is the call for heat, correct? Then yes, it's on. I only primed the pot because it wasn't starting and I'd tried the reset button a bunch of times. I adjusted the feed rate and started it again, it is feeding now, and at a decent rate. I'm hoping it keeps going this time.
  13. jjk454ss

jjk454ss Member

OK, it is feeding pellets, but still burns out after a short period. Any suggestions? I have no clue yet where the feed rate is supposed to be, but even if I pull the bar up so it looks like it's wide open, it burns out like it's not getting enough pellets.

Any suggestions? I'm not even sure what to try at this point.
  14. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    Where you set the feed rod depends on what pellets you are feeding. One brand I use requires the feed rod ALL THE WAY OUT while another brand requires the rod ALL THE WAY IN. It depends on the pellet length. Since you confirmed that you are actually feeding pellets, just not enough, I would open the feed all the way and see how high your flame is. Then, if it's too high per the manual (6" on average, I think, or maybe 8"), push the feed closed a small amount at a time, wait about 15 minutes before making another adjustment.
  15. jjk454ss

jjk454ss Member

Thanks for the help. When you adjust the feed rod, is it adjusting something inside that you can't see? It's not just the part towards the bottom covering the outlet is it? Because I've had it pretty much all the way open already.

[​IMG]
  16. DBCOOPER

Loc:
    Stowe, Pa
    Is the stove set on low, medium or high?
  17. DBCOOPER

Loc:
    Stowe, Pa
    Take a picture of your burn pot showing where the thermocouple is.
  18. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    Two excellent questions, DBC!

To the OP, no the feed rod does nothing but open the passageway to the auger. Open it all the way and set it on HIGH.
  19. jjk454ss

jjk454ss Member

Thanks for all the help. I will take a pic of the thermocouple, but I'm at work until 12:00est. It says to have it 3/4" into the burn pot. Is that over the edge, or over the main(deep) part? It's sticking way in from the edge, but only 3/4" into the deepest part.

The stove was on high, but I did try it in medium also.
  20. jjk454ss

jjk454ss Member

I'm hoping to get this working tonight, can anyone take a pic of there thermocouple do I can see where it should be? Since I can't get a pic until later? Thanks
  21. tomandy

tomandy Member

Loc:
    Quiet Corner CT.
    When I purchased my Quadrafire Santa Fe new, the thermocouple wire wasn't fully in the ceramic housing all the way to the end. This caused the stove to shut down because it wasn't sensing a high enough temp to allow the stove to continue to run. The wire should pull up enough to do this. I had related my problem on this website and was told to try this, it worked first try. This site has some very well versed folks on pellet stoves, much more experienced than me. Hope this works, good luck!
  22. jjk454ss

jjk454ss Member

I'll try that too, thanks. I'm still wondering about the position too though, is it 3/4 from the edge, or 3/4" into the center of the pot. A pic would be very helpfull for me, the directions aren't real clear
  23. tomandy

tomandy Member

Loc:
    Quiet Corner CT.
    The thermocouple wire should go fully into the ceramic housing. The housing should be out about 3/4 inch from the edge of the pot. Hope this helps
    DBCOOPER likes this.
  24. DBCOOPER

Loc:
    Stowe, Pa
    image.jpg
    Here you go
  25. jjk454ss

jjk454ss Member

Thanks, mine is pretty close to that. I'll check the thermocouple inside the housing.