Quadrafire first fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got home and ready to start testing again. The thermocouple is glued into the housing, can't really adjust it I don't think. I moved it a little farther into the firepot to see if that makes a difference, and I opened the feed rate all the way up and turned the fan to high.

null_zpsfdac3827.jpg

Is that blob of RTV standard issue on stoves now? Did you see a green light come on in the control box folowed by it turning to red? Oh wait, this is an AE. Do they use the same control box as other Quads?

I'd take off the RTV and push the thermocouple in and make sure it is up against the end of the tube. Then reseal with hi-temp RTV.

FYI my newish Santa fe has no rtv. I don't know why u would ever rtv a thermocouple in there...

What's an AE? I never see a green light, only red. But, I basically unintentionally did what you suggested, the glue that was holding the thermocouple in lot on fire and basically disintegrated. I was then able to easily move the thermocouple in and out of the casing. I pushed it in, although nothing is holding it in place now, and the stove has been working since last night. I just need to figure out the settings now, for the thermostat, feed rate, fan, etc.

Should I pick something up(RTV) to glue the thermocouple in place? I was planning on something since it's just loose in there now.

What's an AE? I never see a green light, only red. But, I basically unintentionally did what you suggested, the glue that was holding the thermocouple in lot on fire and basically disintegrated. I was then able to easily move the thermocouple in and out of the casing. I pushed it in, although nothing is holding it in place now, and the stove has been working since last night. I just need to figure out the settings now, for the thermostat, feed rate, fan, etc.

Should I pick something up(RTV) to glue the thermocouple in place? I was planning on something since it's just loose in there now.
My quad keeps the thermalcouple in there just without rtv. I want to the bracket has an adjuster screw that pinches the wire to keep it in there.

My quad keeps the thermalcouple in there just without rtv. I want to the bracket has an adjuster screw that pinches the wire to keep it in there.

Sounds like a different design, on mine the set screw holds the ceramic housing, but there's nothing holding the thermocouple except the pressure from the wire pushing it forward.

Yah that may be true. Couldn't remember specifically. The rtv blob is rather ghetto and shouldn't be necessary. I'm thinking maybe the wire got pulled out a bit during the install. It can pushed in more if you look at it from the ash drawer cavity. My dealer said if I ever had issues lighting to push the wire until it was all the way to the end of the ceramic cover.

I think they do the RTV for shipping purposes with the manual and all that good stuff being in there. Usually after a good first fire that RTV burns to nothing.

No RTV or set screw on my thermocouple either, never has been AFAIK

Sorry on the 'AE' question. I looked at the wrong message. :( You need to modify your 'signature' so it shows your stove and any other BS you want to put in there. On my Castile, there's no RTV either. My ceramic tube is held with a clamp and the thermocouple wire is sitting in a grooved vertical plate that holds it in position.

If your stove has a clear control box, you should be seeing inside of it a green light come on as the thermocouple gets to 200 degrees and then it should turn red at 600 degrees. That's your proof of fire signal. (the green light). The red light turns off your igniter, if I recall correctly. These are inside the translucent box where you see the blue light flash. If you have the old solid color plastic box, then your lights are outside of it.
tn_IMGP2940.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry on the 'AE' question. I looked at the wrong message. :( You need to modify your 'signature' so it shows your stove and any other BS you want to put in there. On my Castile, there's no RTV either. My ceramic tube is held with a clamp and the thermocouple wire is sitting in a grooved vertical plate that holds it in position.

If your stove has a clear control box, you should be seeing inside of it a green light come on as the thermocouple gets to 200 degrees and then it should turn red at 600 degrees. That's your proof of fire signal. (the green light). The red light turns off your igniter, if I recall correctly. These are inside the translucent box where you see the blue light flash. If you have the old solid color plastic box, then your lights are outside of it.
View attachment 115159

No problem I just didnt(and still don't) know what AE refers to. I think mine just has the red light.

AE is the latest model of the Quad Mt. Vernon, a more advanced stove than ours.

Status
Not open for further replies.