Quadrafire or Harman

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Icemanxxxv

Oct 20, 2014
Smithville MO USA
I demolished my light bulb fire simmulator out of the alcove in my living room and I am about to put a zero clearance insert in its place.
I have a quote for a Quadrafire CB 1200 ready to go, but I'm vacillating between it and a Harman P35i. My house is a reverse story and a half about 2100 square feet with a vaulted ceiling extending up to the upper area.
I have been a bit concerned b some of the reviews I have read about the Quadrafire CB. I'm a technically inclined guy (fix jets for a living) I can maintain and or fix anything I just don't want to fix stuff all the time. I don't mind maintaining stuff.
Can any of you inform me on your experiences with these two stoves. I plan on having it professionally installed because SWMBO wants it professionally installed, not worth the argument if you catch my drift.
Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

837bdcff81b48c888ae3e723018cac93.jpg520fdbdf24b24b5ceffee3be9b72321c.jpgefbcd3f2589aeaab26195fb4e4a1c574.jpg

I think you need to go with a larger BTU output, like the - Mt. Vernon E2 (or AE) or the Harmon Accentra 52i. I love my Quarda-fire Castile insert, but I went a bit to small on the BTUs and wish I would have gone with more so my stove doesn't have to struggle to keep up...and I only have around 1100 sqft on the main floor with no vaulted ceilings....If you have room to fit a Quad CB1200 you have room for the ones I mentioned I would think...

Hi welcome, the classic bay is a good stove and so is the p35. for 2000 sqf I would would go a little larger as well if your going to heat the whole house. If your buying just to heat some of the house or just help your furnace either will do. I own an harman accentra heating 2000 sqf keeps the house pretty nice outer rooms are a little cooler but can maintain around 70 degrees in the furthest room in the coldest weather here in pa.

I'm partial to Harman's, but also hear good things about the Quads. I don't think you can really go wrong with either of them. Being in MO, I don't know if you really need a bigger stove than what you are looking at for your sq/footage. If you lived up here I would say go at least one size bigger than you think you'll need because it's always nice to have that extra oomph if needed. But, I don't think you guys get as cold, or for extended periods of time as Jonkman. me or Zues, so you may be okay with what you are looking at.

Reactions: Zeus and rich2500
Quads are good stoves but personally I'd pick the Harman. Just my take. Secondly, I'd also look into the 52 as suggested above. I think I'd rather have a bit bigger just in case. Especially if you want to rely on the pellet stove to do most or all of your heating.

The Harmans are tried and true stoves. ALL of them. Usually when you hear about a problem with one it is user error or older than dirt. They cost a bit more but well worth the extra cash. Quads aren't cheap either on their pricing. Many fans of the 52's around here.

Zeus runs one and has some good knowledge with them. Many Harman folks around and we all like ours.

The old saying. Go big or go home. We see more issues here with folks struggling with smaller stoves trying to heat than bigger. Just because it is bigger and offers more BTUs doesn't mean you always have to use all of those BTUs.

Reactions: bogieb and rich2500
I'd like to echo and agree with both bogieb's and bags' comments. Going bigger is better. These stoves are not one level of heat output but variable from some minimum to a maximum level. It's hard to keep the stove running efficiently and effectively at full tilt because you have more things to do at full power, like keeping every heat transfer surface as clean as possible.

If you are running your stove at full power you'll have more maintenance to keep it at that power level. If you need 40-50,000 BTU/hr get something that can put out 60,000 or more. If you only need 30,000 go with 40,000 or more.

I only supplement my heating with my PC45, so it runs around 15-25,000 BTU/hr but is capable of 45,000 on corn or 50,000 on pellets alone. It's a decent burn rate. At it's lowest setting it can run down to 8,000 BTU/hr.

I think it all depends on your location. If u get really cold then go bigger. I wish I knew that before I got my Castile. Love the stove but it can't keep up with the single digits. I lik the looks of harman and quads inserts. They look better then some other stoves on the market.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    95 KB · Views: 243
Reactions: bogieb
I think it all depends on your location. If u get really cold then go bigger. I wish I knew that before I got my Castile. Love the stove but it can't keep up with the single digits. I like the looks of harman and quads inserts. They look better then some other stoves on the market.

You could always add another stove to assist in the super cold. Sometimes it can be beneficial running two smaller stoves in tandem at opposite ends of the house than one big one. Have you thought about adding another for those cold snaps or what do you do to supplement your Castile?

You could always add another stove to assist in the super cold. Sometimes it can be beneficial running two smaller stoves in tandem at opposite ends of the house than one big one. Have you thought about adding another for those cold snaps or what do you do to supplement your Castile?

My oil furnace. It's only ten years old. I wouldn't spend the money on another stove.

Pellets were free this year I didn't pay for them. If not I would be burning oil lot cheaper then pellets right NOW.

Reactions: pete7713 and bogieb
I'd be burning the cheaper fuel also. Oil may not stay cheap for long but hopefully it stays cheap a very long time. LOL! The OP is likely heating with the one smaller pellet stove for a reason. Maybe they don't have the oil option and pellets are his cheapest route.

Just pulled the trigger on a Harman Accentra 52i. Install service appointment on the 9th of January. Since it is going to be a Zero Clearnce install I'm having done by the recommended installer from the vendor. Hopefully I'll get it running shortly afterwords.

Just pulled the trigger on a Harman Accentra 52i. Install service appointment on the 9th of January. Since it is going to be a Zero Clearnce install I'm having done by the recommended installer from the vendor. Hopefully I'll get it running shortly afterwords.

Nice! Be sure to post some photos, we like photos.

I have owned both, I really like my Harman 52i, They are both good stoves but my choice would be the Harman, just a great design.Good luck what ever you choose

You will be happy with your choice I'm sure. I like mine a lot. Now that you made your choice I'll tell you why it was a good one. rails to roll the stove out to maintence,you don't have to shut down to empty ash pan, scrape pot ,refill the stove or clean the glass cool as crap huh. Full cleanings only come once a month and it's a very reliable stove enjoy! Let us know when you get it installed

Reactions: bags and bogieb

Good deal! You'll like it and best of all it is getting installed on my birthday. Ha haha!

Reactions: bogieb and Zeus
Looks good!

Reactions: bags
Nice! So what do you think so far, throw out enough heat for you?
Plenty of heat took the lower keel from 65 to 74 in about an hour. Upstair bedrooms warm because of the vaulted ceilings. Master Bed room a bit cool but do able. All in all it kicks the heat out pretty darn good. Still playing with adjustments.

Plenty of heat took the lower keel from 65 to 74 in about an hour. Upstair bedrooms warm because of the vaulted ceilings. Master Bed room a bit cool but do able. All in all it kicks the heat out pretty darn good. Still playing with adjustments.

I'm sure you have seen this sticky thread about what Harman manual doesn't tell you...in case not, here it is...enjoy.

Steve

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/how-your-harman-works-what-your-manual-doesnt-tell-you.91030/