Quadrafire won't feed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Twyla

Nov 6, 2019
Molalla OR
I have a Quadrafire Classic Bay 1200
Initial start up is fine, it comes on and pellets feed, but it won't continue to feed. It just burns out unless I push the restart button or turn the thermostat down and back up. I have tried jumping all the snap disk and the vacuum switch. I have clean/vacuumed every thing really good, cleaned the fire pot, put a new thermocouple in, made sure it was seated all the way in, the auger motor is new, I have vacuumed the pellet shoot and made sure there is no blockage, I have blown air into the vacuum line... Anything else I should try before ordering a new circuit board?
Thanks for the help

thermocouple needs to touch the end of the protector and the protector needs to be over the edge and into the burn pot at least 3/4 of an inch. Also check the inside of the protector for ash, make sure its clean inside it.

thermocouple needs to touch the end of the protector and the protector needs to be over the edge and into the burn pot at least 3/4 of an inch. Also check the inside of the protector for ash, make sure its clean inside it.
It is and hasn't fixed the issue

OEM thermocouple? Or aftermarket? Vent pipe clean?

Gotta be the board then. How old is the stove?

is it on a good surge protector? been plugged in all summer? lightning storms this past summer? if yes then the board has probably been damaged. you could unplug the stove and pull the board and open it up and see if there is any visible damage. burned traces, capacitors bulging or popped, resistors burnt.

Last edited:
Is the stove feeding enough fuel on initial feed, to get enough fire going to hit 200*, so stove will continue to feed? I would try throwing a handful of pellets in pot before it calls for heat and see if stove starts. If so, you may need to increase feed rate. Let us know how it goes . kap

Is the stove feeding enough fuel on initial feed, to get enough fire going to hit 200*, so stove will continue to feed? I would try throwing a handful of pellets in pot before it calls for heat and see if stove starts. If so, you may need to increase feed rate. Let us know how it goes . kap
The initial start up works just fine, but won't feed anything after that unless I either turn the thermostat down and back up or hit the reset button, then it drops more burns and goes out because pellets are not feeding.

Try putting a handful of pellets in the pot then turn it on.

Try putting a handful of pellets in the pot then turn it on.
Done that, the same thing happens. When you turn it on, it will feed and start up, at temp the blower fan comes on, but it won't feed any more after the initial start up. Unless I push the reset button or turn the thermostat down and back up.

Do the led’s turn on? As the fire sarts and it warms up the thermocouple up to 200deg the Green LED will illuminate. Then the auger will then feed a little more fuel, when the thermocouple reaches 700deg the RED LED illuminates and it should go into normal run mode. If the stove is clean and the thermocouple is new and in its protector touching and the stove does not run after startup (12min) only thing left is it needs a control board.

Are you trying to start the stove when it is set on low? Quad does not recommend trying to start a stove on low or things like you are dealing with can happen. They suggest starting on med. and then switching to low after stove gets going. kap

Reactions: Ssyko
UPDATE......
It starts up and runs great till it reaches the thermostat temperature, then the call light goes off and it don't come back on till I reset it.
New auger motor
New control board
New #1 snap disk
New thermostat
New thermocouple
What could be the problem?

Tstatwire or connections. Might be a bad spot in tstat wire. kap

Are you sure you didn't just have a misfire you didn't catch, and just hit reset? kap

Only thing that tells the stove to fire back up is the tstat calling for more heat. kap

Something to try. take tstat wires off stove. Jump the two screws together with a wire. Stove should start up. Let it run for a bit and then take wire off. After stove shuts down. Hook wire back up on screws. If stove starts up, it is either bad connections, bad tstat wire, or bad tstat. kap

Something to try. take tstat wires off stove. Jump the two screws together with a wire. Stove should start up. Let it run for a bit and then take wire off. After stove shuts down. Hook wire back up on screws. If stove starts up, it is either bad connections, bad tstat wire, or bad tstat. kap
I'll try that as soon as I get home and I'll let you know. ( About an hour)..... Thank you

Update..... Stove is up and running. Ended up getting a new tstat. Works great, other then the fact that it seems to only cycle when I have the tstat set at 76. If I set it lower it don't cycle like it should.