Quaking Aspen & Cherry

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Took a walk up the hill just above the splitter to see what type of wood was down, the quaking aspen (popple) is real good in size and there is two of them plus the cherry in the picture.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0521.jpg
    100_0521.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 337
  • 100_0524.jpg
    100_0524.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 332
If it were in my woods, I'd take the cherry and leave the popple. If you need the wood though, then popple is okay. It just won't hold a fire very long. Pure gopher wood.

Gotta disagree with Dennis here . . . sort of . . . I'd take them both . . . but burn the poplar in the Fall or Spring . . . and if time were an issue get the cherry or other hardwoods first . . . but hey, my mantra has always been all wood is good and I was raised by a popple burning father so it's in my genes to want to burn it all. ;)

Jake, please do not misunderstand. I've burned popple before and will do more no doubt in the future. However, if I have a choice, I'll leave it. That does not mean someone else should.

seeing all the wood you have. I would cut it up and leave it as well to much work and it will help fertilize the good wood.

Jay, you are probably ahead of me now. We got rid of a lot of wood this year. Still hoping to get rid of some more.

Backwoods Savage said:
Jake, please do not misunderstand. I've burned popple before and will do more no doubt in the future. However, if I have a choice, I'll leave it. That does not mean someone else should.

No offense taken . . . I always go with the better hardwood first myself . . . but if the popple is down already I'll take it and give it a nice, warm home. ;) I think I know you pretty well by now Dennis . . . you're not a wood snob. ;) I mean to say you still are a bit mixed up with the whole splitting vertical deal . . . but other than that you're a pretty decent guy who pretty much shares the same views as I do on wood. ;)

Backwoods Savage said:
Jay, you are probably ahead of me now. We got rid of a lot of wood this year. Still hoping to get rid of some more.

I will give it to anyone willing to work and thats hard to find around here!

smokinjay said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I will give it to anyone willing to work and thats hard to find around here!

Thanks for the input so this is my goal;

1. Get all wood that is split plus stacked in the woods out and stacked near the house.
2. Get all the Maple,Beech plus the downed Cherry bucked up plus split and stacked.
3. Pick some wild leeks for consumption.
4. Go fishing, catch some walleye then clean and freeze.
5. Fearful I'm not keeping up get my arse back in the woods cutting.

Zap

I'm with FFJ I like light wood to start fires!

70marlin said:

Thats what I used for kindling this year, takes off great. I'll cut some up but it will be for 2011-2012 season.

zap

zapny said:
70marlin said:

Thats what I used for kindling this year, takes off great. I'll cut some up but it will be for 2011-2012 season.

zap

I am old school one fire a year

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
70marlin said:

zap

Stuff her full kind of guy!

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
70marlin said:

zap

Stuff her full kind of guy!

zap

lol really I start it in oct. and still yet to go out about 10-11 cords a year 2700 sq ft gas budget 29.00 a month. And heat the hot water.

1. Get all wood that is split plus stacked in the woods out and stacked near the house.
2. Get all the Maple,Beech plus the downed Cherry bucked up plus split and stacked.

Zap[/quote]

Zap - I've seen you post about a million cherry trees cut and split up in the woods. How long will it take you to get it all and stack it near the house? How much do you fiqure you have? Will you pull it all out via ATV? Seems like a huge undertaking. And the walleye must be biting now.

I got out on sunday for alittle fishing and caught 5 bass. It's nice to be caught up on the wood. We are planting a garden - but that should only kill a day or two of fishing.

Hope you get your list done and get some fishing in.

basswidow said:

Zap

Zap - I've seen you post about a million cherry trees cut and split up in the woods. How long will it take you to get it all and stack it near the house? How much do you fiqure you have? Will you pull it all out via ATV? Seems like a huge undertaking. And the walleye must be biting now.

I got out on sunday for alittle fishing and caught 5 bass. It's nice to be caught up on the wood. We are planting a garden - but that should only kill a day or two of fishing.

Hope you get your list done and get some fishing in.[/quote]

On the lower level the Cherry should take less than one week to get out, we take the truck back in the woods plus the Rhino with the wagon. Short hauls to the truck on main road in the woods with the rhino, stacking I'm not sure.

On the upper level we have about 5 face cord that has to come down to the truck, should take about the same has the lower level.

Walleye season starts first Saturday in May then bass season the 3rd weekend in June.

Zap

I forgot about the seasons.

down here - we start fishing at ice out (catch and release bass). I have never targeted walleye but hear it's the finest tasting freshwater fish.

I've enjoyed all the pictures of the cherry wood you've gotten. I burned mostly cherry last year. It's everywhere down here and it's great wood to get.

basswidow said:
I forgot about the seasons.

down here - we start fishing at ice out (catch and release bass). I have never targeted walleye but hear it's the finest tasting freshwater fish.

I've enjoyed all the pictures of the cherry wood you've gotten. I burned mostly cherry last year. It's everywhere down here and it's great wood to get.

Hi Basswidow;

I checked your fishing seasons out this morning on the net, I'm starting to run out of Cherry thats down in the woods maybe 3 trees that I recall. I have alot of cleaning up top do after the stacking gets done, I start Wednesday after work.

Maple that I have to refill is 2 face cord (have about 3 f/c c/s/s) up in the woods since last year.
The Cherry I have to refill is 8 face cord (4 have been stacked near the house (since last fall) with another 2 f/c in the front yard. The rest I have to bring out of the woods.

Zap

wolfram said:
Leeks already Up North?

Not yet but they should becoming up sometime in April.

Zap

Look at it this way . . . that Aspen is on the ground. You'll have to bend over to cut it, dull your chain on the mud/dirt/rocks on the bottom side, and end up hurting yer back all the bending over to pick it up.

Instead, next beer run, pick up a box of toothpicks. Roughly equivalent BTUs as that Aspen, if you can ever get it dry.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Look at it this way . . . that Aspen is on the ground. You'll have to bend over to cut it, dull your chain on the mud/dirt/rocks on the bottom side, and end up hurting yer back all the bending over to pick it up.

Instead, next beer run, pick up a box of toothpicks. Roughly equivalent BTUs as that Aspen, if you can ever get it dry.

Since I spent time bucking & splitting Basswood for the shoulder season I'll end up doing the same on the Aspen.

zap

ISeeDeadBTUs said:

HehHeh . . . I look at it differently.

The tree is already on the ground . . . no worry about pinching your saw . . . no worry about dropping the tree the wrong way . . . no worry about widow makers or snags dropping on top of you . . . since it's on the ground already you might as well clear up the lot a bit since otherwise the tree will just go back to being tree food for other trees . . . but in a process that will take many years . . . in the meantime you can easily buck up the tree (and every tree I've ever cut eventually ends up on the ground where I have to be careful when bucking it up anyways) and use the wood for the shoulder season, kindling or for those weekend fires when you're home and don't mind tending the fire a little more often.

Status
Not open for further replies.