Question about building chase around pipe.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Borch2aw

Nov 20, 2018
Detroit
486EC152-3F36-41C6-91AB-1F4AC42131FE.jpeg
Hey my name is Alex and this my first post. I bought my house a couple years ago and have got good use out my wood stove in the basement. The pipe runs up from the basement, through the spare bedroom closet and then through the attic and roof. The pipe in the spare bedroom is kind of ugly and my wife and I think that it would be dangerous for kids being as exposed as it is. Can anyone tell me some guidelines on how to build a chase around this, possibly with some venting, so I could get some of the heat from the pipe still? Or would it possibly be a better idea to tear it down and stick the pipe outside the house? Thank you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Inside the warm house is where you want it. Keeping the chimney warm drastically increases performance. If you know what brand of chimney it is check out the installion manial on their website as it will list clearances and some give a general guide to closing it in.

Keep the pipe indoors and straight up. That is the best setup.

The chimney must be chased. Typically class A chimney pipe requires at least 2" clearance from combustibles. The construction doesn't matter as long as clearances are honored. A simple box framing will suffice. You can put a vent grille at the top and bottom of the chase if you want to scavenge a little heat from it.