1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Question about flue pipe

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ymurf, Dec 12, 2012.

1. ymurf

ymurf Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    I have my fireplace set where I want it in my new addition. Right between two windows. The flue pipe straight up will just catch a truss. I checked at the local fireplace shop today and they have a couple 30° elbows for $125..My flue is the air cooled pipe. Can any of you tell me just how far two 30° elbows will shift the pipe over? He also has two 15° elbows. How much will they shift the flue pipe?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. dougand3

dougand3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Alabama
    30* can offset 2 ft offset in 4 ft distance. 15* can offset ~1 ft in 4 ft distance. What is the distance from flue exit to ceiling (or better is Ceiling Support Box)?
  3. ymurf

ymurf Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    Only have about three or 4 feet to trusses.Guess I may just have to off center the fireplace about 5 inches to get a straight shot.
  4. dougand3

dougand3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Alabama
    15* can offset only 5" if you go elbow-elbow or a very short pipe between elbows - gives less offset. If it's only 5" - moving FP and going straight up would be easier and cheaper.
  5. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    There should be an offset chaert in your installation manual.