Question about woodstove insert and damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TomF-NH

Nov 14, 2017
NH
I bought a house with a Hearthstone stove insert in the fireplace. It had no liner so I had one installed (stainless steel, flex). Now that it's getting colder, I notice a cool draft coming down from the damper opening, which is always open so the liner pipe can go up.

Is there something that can be installed to block the damper opening to prevent this air from entering? Thanks.

Attachments

• Question about woodstove insert and damper
    20171114_113739.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 91
A block off plate is what you are needing I believe. Do a search here for it. Common to fabricate something/plate to seal the damper opening/area. I believe many/most guys also insulate around the liner and above the block off plate. I think what you have is a freestanding stove placed on your fireplace hearth. Likely to put out some significant heat after you get things sealed up. Somebody with a similar setup will surely fill you in with details. Good luck.

I bought a house with a Hearthstone stove insert in the fireplace. It had no liner so I had one installed (stainless steel, flex). Now that it's getting colder, I notice a cool draft coming down from the damper opening, which is always open so the liner pipe can go up.

Is there something that can be installed to block the damper opening to prevent this air from entering? Thanks.
Is the SS Flex insulated? Is there a top plate at exit of chimney? Find where the cold air is coming from

Looks like the installers left the old damper in there, going to be tight, but doable for a block off plate. Might want to tuck some Roxul in there.