Question--help!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfox103

Feeling the Heat
Oct 4, 2011
Littleton, NH
This is my fourth season burning pellets. I have left the stove running when we have been away overnight. In the middle of March, we will be going to Atlanta to visit my son for 5 days. The real cold days of winter will be over, but will still be cold. I know I can get the neighbor to fill the pellet hopper when I am gone. I have a forced hot water system, that now is the backup to the pellet stoves.

My question, should I run the forced hot water with the thermostats turned way down or should I run the pellet stove? I have two stoves, but only will be running one. I keep the stove maintained and clean. I also have house insurance! Ha Ha. It will kill me to turn the oil on, as I have not so far this year. I need an unbiased answer. I guess I could gamble and leave everything off also.

Tom C.

I'm in the same boat Tom, we are heading to Florida in early march.

Probly just suck it up and turn the LP furnace on real low.

Last time we went away I filled the hopper and let it run, when it stopped the forced hot water system kicked in (around 64). Figured I saved 12+ hours of having to burn oil.

Good luck & enjoy your trip.

I'd give the stove a real good cleaning before you left, fill the hopper, and set the regular thermostat at 64 as mentioned above. If the neighbor can check it and fill it once a day, you'd be good to go.

Depends on how well your neighbor knows the stove.

I "Baby" sat my buddies stove (Baby Countryside) while he went to see his In-Laws a couple weekends ago.

Granted it was only 2 days. But if it was 10, I would have still done it. Went over in the afternoon and before I went to bed (Also had to let Dog out, water, and feed). But knowing the stove very well, I could have done what needed to be done (Had something needed done / Scrape the pot, Etc).

The buddy that I did this for (forum member barnyard840x) is the only person I would trust to do the same for me. If I set the Quad t-stat and the Fahrenheit t-stat a little bit a part, I could prob go about 3-4 days. After that, I would need intervention of some sort to fill the hoppers.

If its vitally important to you. Then there is time to "train" him and make him wise in the ways of pellets. But a month and a half isnt a long time. My buddy has time with his stove and also been around mine since I got them. Also being my friend for 16 yrs helps a lot....

So I guess it depends on quite a few factors. But only one person I would trust. If he couldnt do it...... Then the LP gets turned on. Been on the same 500 gal tank for 2 yrs and still about 45%. Guess I could use a little. (Only use it for cooking).

As much as it would pain me to burn the fuel, I would set the furnace stat at 55* and forget it, nothing should freeze.
The last thing I would worry about is how warm my stuff at home is. Enjoy the time away, write it off as the cost of traveling.

Hmm, so far it seems like a toss up. I'm still on the fence.

Tom C.

Wachusett said:
As much as it would pain me to burn the fuel, I would set the furnace stat at 55* and forget it, nothing should freeze.
The last thing I would worry about is how warm my stuff at home is. Enjoy the time away, write it off as the cost of traveling.

X2

PJPellet said:
Wachusett said:

X2

X3

Only time we turn on the Electric heat is a winter vaca! I couldn't sleep or have fun knowing an uncertain was fiddling with my stove! Or should I say my baby.

For the 5days you are away you will probably use 15 gal. of oil . For the 50.00 It will cost you for fuel I would set the thermostat low and forget about the pellets and enjoy your time away. If It were me Iwould be worried and constantly wondering If the stove was being looked after like I would look after It

Wachusett said:

X4

OK, I get the message.

thanks

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.