Question of cleaning my own liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TkdCo

Oct 21, 2014
north olmsted, ohio
I have a older Vanasco (treemont?) wood stove that was here when i purchased the house. I had a brand new stainless steel liner , TI-316 liner installed a few years back. Its a 6" liner. I dont want to pay companies anymore to clean my chimney. I have seen it done many times. I was wondering on the type of brush.. I hear pros and cons about both steel and poly brushes... its a mostly straight chimney, just on slight bend. I will need close to 35' of flexible rod too. Which brush should I get? my stove has a back metal plate that comes out, so i can remove that plate and run the brush straight up the liner from there

Poly is the safest bet some soft bristle stainless steel brushes are ok to use but never use a carbon steel brush in a stainless liner.

yes it can and the carbon steel can potentially leave carbon tracks that can cause corrosion. I dont know how realistic that is but that is what some liner manufacturers say. But if you have a light wall liner i would absolutly never use a stiff bristle steel brush in there it could damage it for sure

yes it can and the carbon steel can potentially leave carbon tracks that can cause corrosion. I dont know how realistic that is but that is what some liner manufacturers say. But if you have a light wall liner i would absolutly never use a stiff bristle steel brush in there it could damage it for sure
I work at a place that deals with both steel, and stainless steel.

We never use things like grinder discs on stainless, that were all ready used on steel. They say that it will absolutely cause corrosion in the stainless.

We never use things like grinder discs on stainless, that were all ready used on steel. They say that it will absolutely cause corrosion in the stainless.

Ok then i always wondered if it was true

Status
Not open for further replies.