Question on door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

KG19

May 15, 2022
SW Wisconsin
I did a clean out today and was inspecting the stove, and I noticed what looks like a little bump out in the bottom of the door… I’m not sure if this has always been like this as I’ve never really looked so closely at it. I moved into this house a little over a year ago and had it professionally inspected last year. I’ve got a sweep coming in about 2 weeks so I can ask him to look at it then too, but I was looking for some advice on whether or not I should continue to use it in the meantime. I’m still new to using a wood stove. Thanks in advance.
Question on doorQuestion on door

Last edited by a moderator:
The first picture appears to be the door glass gasket. It's ok that it's not perfectly even as long as it is sealing well.

Is the glass on the stove door staying relatively clean and clear?

The first picture appears to be the door glass gasket. It's ok that it's not perfectly even as long as it is sealing well.

Is the glass on the stove door staying relatively clean and clear?
I guess what i was looking at was more on the very outside edge of the door, it seems like as you follow the edge from left to right it bumps out a bit and then goes back in towards the right side. Maybe it’s just an optical illusion though. The door has stayed perfectly clean and the seal does seem good

If the glass is staying clean, that's a good sign. It looks ok in the picture. When the stove is cold you could do the dollar bill test in that area by closing the door on a dollar bill and then pulling it out. If there is resistance, then the gasket is sealing ok.