Question on Harman p68 probes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JJ1021

Feb 2, 2018
MA
Hi, I bought my Harman earlier this year at the end of last season and as it's now starting to get colder I've been looking at ways to help with the heat variances that the p68 pushes out and I noticed a lot of mention of the esp probe that goes into the exhaust and just wondering if this is supposed to come with the stove or if it's a special order?

Mine only came with the room sensing probe and wasn't sure if I was supposed to get both or one or the other depending on the stove/retailer.

Hi, I bought my Harman earlier this year at the end of last season and as it's now starting to get colder I've been looking at ways to help with the heat variances that the p68 pushes out and I noticed a lot of mention of the esp probe that goes into the exhaust and just wondering if this is supposed to come with the stove or if it's a special order?

Mine only came with the room sensing probe and wasn't sure if I was supposed to get both or one or the other depending on the stove/retailer.

The ESP is an integral part of all the Harman pellet stoves. It's a good idea to pull and clean it every so often as it will sometimes have an accumulation build up that may have some affect on how the stove runs especially in "stove mode".

Hope that helps,

Hugh

I just double checked, mine doesn't have the metal probe going through the exhaust. I just have one of these types that plugs into the back of the unit and what I've been using all along cause that's all mine came with. Which is why I am questioning whether they can use one or the other or I need to contact the retailer about it.
3-20-00906-AMP-1.png

How do you know it doesn't have an ESP? I'm pretty sure it won't run without one.

Hugh

The ESP is in there. It may be dirty & not readily obvious, but it IS in there.
Maybe a foot behind the combustion blower plate & in the upper section of the exhaust pipe

I looked at the back of the exhaust, and didn't see any indicator that the probe is there. Just the 2/3 bolts that connect to the back of the stove and where the pipe goes over.

Did you remove the rear shroud?
The ESP is held in place with a 1/4" zipscrew.
With red or black wire leads going to it.

I looked at the back of the exhaust, and didn't see any indicator that the probe is there. Just the 2/3 bolts that connect to the back of the stove and where the pipe goes over.

Here's a picture taken from the rear of a P68 with the exhaust removed. You an see the ESP towards the top of the round opening.

p 68 ESP.jpg

Ok, maybe it's in a different position or it was bundled up with other wires so wasn't as noticeable. I will double check again. Thanks for the help.

Basically, If your stove will start up and run it is there. It will not run without it

A screen shot from the P68 manual.......

Attachments

• p68 esp.jpg
    p68 esp.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 165
When I do a quick clean, I do not take the rear apart, to access
the ESP.. I do it from the front... very easy when you have the special, optional, high end tool,
made especially for that purpose.. It works great for taking off all of the built up ash..

Dan
brush.jpg

I just run shop vac hose back there or the 3" vent brush cleans it on the way past when it is time for that. I never pull them to clean. It does not have to be shiny to sense temp.

I just run shop vac hose back there or the 3" vent brush cleans it on the way past when it is time for that. I never pull them to clean. It does not have to be shiny to sense temp.

On the other end of the spectrum, in my setup I find it so easy to pull the ESP that I do pull it for every deepish clean. That way I never worry in the least about tweaking it while vigorously running a brush through the exhaust path.

YMMV,

Hugh

Reactions: rickwai