question on new Fireview firing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sappy

Jan 30, 2011
Vermont upper valley
I purchased a new Woodstock Fireview this year. This is my 6th burn so far. My question is that I started it again from a cold start, took around 30 min to engage combuster at 200(steel cat). It glowed orange right off as usual. I set the draft back to 1 and stove cruised around 500. Now my question,lol. After a fashion I disengaged the combuster and opened up the draft some-not max however for around 10 minuetes. Then when stove seemed engulfed in flames good I engaged the combuster again. I then set the draft back to 1. After a little bit the flame was mostly in the middle of the wood only- a blueish orange flame. Next the flame went out yet combuster had an orange glow. I open the draft up to 1 to 1.5 and a little while a flme came back very briely and went out. When it went out the combuster got more orange again. Eventually it went out as usual for good when there was just big coals left. Stove top now at 330 or so.does this sound normal with flame going out like that? Room now 88 degrees and 80 feet away it brought the house up 2 degrees although it is still 50 out.

sounds like you need to get a few fans running pushing cold air back towards that stove room to even things out some.

pen

Sounds normal but there's no need to disengae the cat to bring back some flame, just give it some more air. For these shoulder season burns you may want to engage the cat a little higher air setting like 1.5 and leave it there for awhile before adjusting down. The cat acts like a damper when you engage and can give you fits during these sluggish daft Fall temps.

Pen, I had heard of a small fan that way blowing into the room at ground level. We were planning on trying that coming up. The stove is at far end of a ranch where it steps out of that room 3 steps from the 9 foot ceilings there into the rest of the house. It now has effected the rooms 80 feet away on north end of hs plus three degrees more than before the stove was lit. It is 50 out however not 10. Although my stove is out now and still very comfortable and cannot discount when it is fired 24-7.my wife and I would also like it around 60 to 62 in bedroom, so time will tell how well all that does. Good idea on the fan though.
On another note was wondering if these stoves flames go right out after being so established and go to combuster only to come back to flame later?

sappy said:
On another note was wondering if these stoves flames go right out after being so established and go to combuster only to come back to flame later?

Yes, I've seen this happen many times. It will take you some trial and error finding out how your stove works best for you. I think a mistake many people do learning this stove is engaging the cat at to low an air setting or adjusting it down to quickly. Sometimes it's just better to light off at #1 and just let it go and leave it alone and see what happens, then maybe next time engage a little higher or lower. You'll get her figured out.

Todd, I meant to say that I disengaged the combuster as I added some wood and then reengaged 10 min later.I did however leave it later on 1.5 after it looked looked like flame had gone out some. Off course the combuster always glowed orange when the flame seemed out anyways. Wondering how kosher all that sounds?

That makes sense Todd. Will have to experiment some.

Hello again Sappy. Hope your big sale went well.

I can fully agree with Todd and it definitely will take a little time to get the draft setting figured out. Most of us have a little difference. As for the fire going out, that will be normal with a light load of wood and a low draft setting but the cat should take over then. You will know for sure by looking at the stove top temperature as the temperature will rise more rapidly when the cat is working well. Then many times if the flame dies out it will once again relight itself and many times that is when you'll get that nice rolling flame at the top of the glass.

I've not run the steel cat but a couple times now and do find it a bit difference from the ceramic cat....but better than the ceramic so far. When starting from a cold stove I engaged the cat just a tad below 250 and it worked fine. On reload, I engaged after about 10 minutes and all was well. So far I have not been able to run at less that 1 on the draft and probably won't until it turns cold outside.

Backwoods Savage said:
So far I have not been able to run at less that 1 on the draft and probably won't until it turns cold outside.

This is what I'm finding as well, flames are snuffing out under #1 in these 50 degree outside temps, when it's colder I can run a little lower. Anything under #1 gives me a short lived floating flame then the cat takes over the burn. I've been burning evening fires at a little over #1 to enjoy some flame and to boost the house temps up some then turn it down to about .75 at bedtime for a low even cat burn.

Great advice Dennis and Todd. Starting to see that 1.5 is about right if I want a mild flame as well. Did that tonight on 50 degree temp and it lit off at 200 albeit with foremention shoulder burn I had to leave draft at 4 for over 25 mins on the cold start instead of my usual 15 min. The cat did not glow as much tonight with the flame going and stove temp at around 400 plus instead of 550 like yesterday. I put in a little less wood however. Room 5 hrs later still 85 with coals left.

Sappy, I'm wondering why you have to run the stove with full draft so long? I usually find that I can decrease the draft to about half quite fast. Turning the draft down usually allows the stove to heat faster as there is less heat going out the chimney.

I don't know Dennis. I usually have an incredible draw-maybe it is the wood that I brought in from the cold garage. That was the only thing different that I did. I usually have to fight to keep it on 4 longer than 10 mins, as it roars pretty good. Air also wanted to lite rain and I know with sugaring a 52 degree night with that low pressure makes a lousy sugaring night

Happens to me every burn, chalk it all up to learning.

f v

sappy said:
I don't know Dennis. I usually have an incredible draw-maybe it is the wood that I brought in from the cold garage. That was the only thing different that I did. I usually have to fight to keep it on 4 longer than 10 mins, as it roars pretty good. Air also wanted to lite rain and I know with sugaring a 52 degree night with that low pressure makes a lousy sugaring night

Ah, but on those nights it is a great time for a weiner roast or some pancakes! Have to stop now; it is making me hungry.

Status
Not open for further replies.