Question on Stove Pipe Joints

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg123

Jul 21, 2006
WNY
Reading thru the Q&A on the site I came across some answers to questions regarding stove pipe joints and to Seal all joints with furnace cement and 3 screws.

I have always used 3 screws but is sealing the joints just optional?.

Does anyone here seal there stove pipe joints what are the benefits of doing this is it better draft?.

Is it difficult getting them apart for cleaning?.

single wall pipe joints are not the tightest fitting many do apply refactory /furnace cememt first It usually comes apart quite easilly for cleaning. 22 gage welded seam more expensive is a better choice and less prone to leakage in the elbow joints.

Naturally the tighter the seal the better chance of draft and safer in the case of back drafts and leakage

Thanks elkimmeg. For some stupid reason I was thing of Double Wall... But it does make sense using it for single Wall.

elkimmeg, I used double wall black by Duravent. The pipes have three screws with no gap filler, and there are some slight gaps where the screws were tightened and there is a little kink in pipe.

Last year I had no problems at all with any smoke etc. Should I be concerned that there are tiny gaps (1/8 inch) in pipe joints here and there ?

You really don't notice any gap unless you get real close and then you can see certain areas where pipe was maybe kinked slightly by screws being tight.

Robbie

So long as the iner-pipe joints are good there is no concern

on your duravent the internal stainless liners join very well, your screws only penetrate the skin not the liner, the gap should be in the skin, if the liner is gapped, what you realy have to worry about is a little dulition air. doesnt sound like you have any problem

Status
Not open for further replies.