Question regarding epa stove and chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bhollar55

Jan 31, 2019
Granite Falls, NC
Hey guys, I just bought a new epa certified Summer's heat wood furnace, made by Englander. I bought the stove to replace an older B&M stove that was showing some age. Not knowing that epa stoves require a much smaller flue, I'm experiencing issues with it not drawing very well thus keeping a fire going is a struggle. My masonry exterior chimney flue is a 8x13 and the stove isn't getting the flue hot enough to create much of a draft. Does anyone have any ideas in how to help with this, other than dropping in a 6" stainless liner? Is installing a new SS 6" liner a difficult or expensive job?

Question regarding epa stove and chimney liner

Is that 8x13" ID? If so, the current chimney has an area of 104 sq in. vs 6" round's 29 sq in. That is not going to work. An insulated stainless liner will make a big difference in draft as well as being easier to clean. The cost will be relative to the length and quality of the liner. This is infrastructure. Investing a bit more up front will pay off over the long term. The chimney will need to be completely clean before installing the liner.

Does the chimney have a tile liner or is it unlined?

From the manual:
The area of a 6 inch (152.4 mm) diameter flue collar is 28.87 square inches (186.25 sq. cm); therefore, the connector pipe should be at least a 6 inch (152.4 mm) diameter pipe and the chimney liner must be at least 28.87 square inches (186.25 sq. cm) but no greater than 84.8 square inches (547.09 sq. cm).

Last edited:
You definitely need a 6” stainless liner

You are going to have a mess of creosote in there. Sweep it well before dropping the liner.

Liners are never cheap- they can cost more than the stove if you have a cheap stove and a tall flue.

Dropping a liner can be pretty easy or much harder. If it's a straight shot and there's plenty of room, you are good. Check for clay tiles, old dampers, and obstructions in the smoke shelf area.

If you have a clay liner in there, there may not be room for an insulated 6" liner. Measure the inner diameter on the short side and see what you have.

You are going to have a mess of creosote in there. Sweep it well before dropping the liner.

Liners are never cheap- they can cost more than the stove if you have a cheap stove and a tall flue.

Dropping a liner can be pretty easy or much harder. If it's a straight shot and there's plenty of room, you are good. Check for clay tiles, old dampers, and obstructions in the smoke shelf area.

If you have a clay liner in there, there may not be room for an insulated 6" liner. Measure the inner diameter on the short side and see what you have.
It’s a 8x12” ID masonry liner that’s perfectly straight and built 3 years ago. Had a sweep look through it and it’s pretty clear. How does one go about making the 90 degree turn into the thimble? Use a tee?

Is that 8x13" ID? If so, the current chimney has an area of 104 sq in. vs 6" round's 29 sq in. That is not going to work. An insulated stainless liner will make a big difference in draft as well as being easier to clean. The cost will be relative to the length and quality of the liner. This is infrastructure. Investing a bit more up front will pay off over the long term. The chimney will need to be completely clean before installing the liner.

Does the chimney have a tile liner or is it unlined?

From the manual:
The area of a 6 inch (152.4 mm) diameter flue collar is 28.87 square inches (186.25 sq. cm); therefore, the connector pipe should be at least a 6 inch (152.4 mm) diameter pipe and the chimney liner must be at least 28.87 square inches (186.25 sq. cm) but no greater than 84.8 square inches (547.09 sq. cm).
It's 9x13 OD and 8x12 ID, and does have a tile liner.

Attachments

• Question regarding epa stove and chimney liner
    IMG_1345.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 196
The liner has a special tee end piece that drops down with the tee snout removed. The tee snout is inserted through the thimble and attached to the tee body. This short video will show the process.

The liner has a special tee end piece that drops down with the tee snout removed. The tee snout is inserted through the thimble and attached to the tee body. This short video will show the process.

Thanks for the info. Going to order the Rockford Rockflex kit and insulation kit as well.

Thanks for the info. Going to order the Rockford Rockflex kit and insulation kit as well.
You are going to have trouble fitting an insulated 6" round liner down your chimney. If it actually is 8" inside you may be able to but most are not

You are going to have trouble fitting an insulated 6" round liner down your chimney. If it actually is 8" inside you may be able to but most are not
Yes, I was concerned about that because of the mortar ooze at the tile joints. What do you suggest? Slightly ovalizing or a different liner altogether?

Yes, I was concerned about that because of the mortar ooze at the tile joints. What do you suggest? Slightly ovalizing or a different liner altogether?
Either ovalizing or tile removal. We typically remove the tile.

I’ve read that it’s not necessarily needed if you’ve got a tile liner.
The existence and condition of a clay liner has no bearing on the requirement to insulate. What matters is clearance to combustibles from the outside of the masony structure. For an internal chimney you need 2" of clearance from the outside of the chimney to combustibles and you need 1" for external chimneys. Even if you have that clearance the performance benefits of insulating are well worth it.

I was completely wrong about the size of the clay liner. Going off of the builders memory. I measured 6”x11” ID
That is what I thought. You will need oval or to break out the clay

I’ve read that it’s not necessarily needed if you’ve got a tile liner.
Your specific need appears to be related to the size of your flue as opposed to the size of the exhaust. To make an insulated liner fit you must remove the terracotta. That's where you either need to buy a bunch of specific tools or get a professional. Unless the liner is damaged or missing mortar in the interior joints it should work for your stove strictly based on size. There are other factors to consider thought

cousins?