Question regarding epa stove and chimney liner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
So you think I could take a standard 6” round flexible stainless flue and oval it to fit inside my 6x11”? I’ve got some mortar that’s squirted in the inside.

I would knock the clay out and put in an insulated liner.

So you think I could take a standard 6” round flexible stainless flue and oval it to fit inside my 6x11”? I’ve got some mortar that’s squirted in the inside.
Well no you would first need to see if the Englander can handle running on the reduced volume of an ovalized 6" liner if not you will have to upsize the liner so you have the same volume once it is ovalized. You will also need a tee that matches that oval liner. That is why we typically just remove the clay so we can run 6" round.

Well no you would first need to see if the Englander can handle running on the reduced volume of an ovalized 6" liner if not you will have to upsize the liner so you have the same volume once it is ovalized. You will also need a tee that matches that oval liner. That is why we typically just remove the clay so we can run 6" round.
I’ve been considering doing a 5-1/2” round stainless liner. Do you think since I’ve got a 32’ tall chimney that it’ll draft just as good or better than a 6” round? 5-1/2” would allowed me to not have to bust my tile.

I’ve been considering doing a 5-1/2” round stainless liner. Do you think since I’ve got a 32’ tall chimney that it’ll draft just as good or better than a 6” round? 5-1/2” would allowed me to not have to bust my tile.
Chances are you won't fit insulation even with a 5.5. but yes if the manufacturer is ok with running the stove on 5.5 it is an option.

I have the same size flue and am considering running the insulated oval DuraLiner that @begreen linked earlier in this thread. Is there a reason why you are not considering that? It seems like the best (and only?) way to get a properly sized insulated liner installed without breaking out tiles.