Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2010
KY
Was wondering what would happen if a log rolls against the glass after you leave home or got to bed. Will the direct heat from the log break the glass? I usually load NS but had some longer pieces and put them in EW tonight and just thought about it. Anyone had this happen?

Thanks,
Rob

cmonSTART said:
It's actually ceramic based, so it can take it.

+1

and the brown crap it leaves behind will burn off...........

-Soupy1957

Thanks for the replies guys. That's one less thing to worry about.

Rob

I'll say it can usually take it. I've heard of glass breakage from wood falling onto the glass. One still needs to be careful.

KYrob said:
Was wondering what would happen if a log rolls against the glass after you leave home or got to bed. Will the direct heat from the log break the glass? I usually load NS but had some longer pieces and put them in EW tonight and just thought about it. Anyone had this happen?

Thanks,
Rob

The "glass" is actually quite rugged . . . I have heard of some cases where it has broken . . . but typically it's when someone tosses a split in willy nilly or sticks a split in and then slams the door shut.

The "glass" -- a ceramic type of material -- is pretty tough stuff. Heat will not affect it. About the worse thing that would happen is that the spilt or round will roll up against the glass and it will partially block the air wash system turning your glass brown or black . . . but as mentioned . . . on the next good, hot burn that gunk will burn off . . . or if it really bothers you before you reload you can clean it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.