question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mach23

Dec 8, 2011
Upstate NY
so i fired the stove up for the first time last night and have a few issues. I have a st croix prescott. the first issue is, a smokey smell in the house. I believe i know what the issue is here. When i did my spring cleaning on it, i removed both the room and combustion fans. I couldnt get a new gasket for the combustion fan at the time (dealer was out of them) so i put it back together thinking i would get one before fall. Well i forgot about it and never replaced the gasket. Could this be whats causing the smoke smell in the house?
Second issue is every now and then i see a puff of smoke coming out the vent. Normally on startup it always smokes a good deal then stops. I have about a 10 foot verticle vent and can see the smoke every so often.... not a lot of smoke but enough where its visable. what could be causing this? thanks............

The smell in the house could very well be because of the gasket if it got torn or if the plate wasn't tightened evenly when you put it on.

A little smoke coming from the vent on start up is common, if it smokes after the fire is going it is usually a sign of a fuel/air flow mismatch (quite common on some stoves on low firing rates where you never get a steady fire).

Your gasket situation may contribute to that as well.

If you didn't tear the gasket you should only need to make sure you have the gasket evenly compressed.

It is also possible that your smokey smell in the house can be because of the smoke outside finding its way back in due to cracked sealant around the thimble on the outside of the house, windows that were operated during the warm season no longer close tightly or didn't get closed tightly.

Interior joints in the venting could have been disturbed by your cleaning, the #1 for this would be the clean out cap on the tee, with #2 being the saddle joint on the tee.

The smell in the house could very well be because of the gasket if it got torn or if the plate wasn't tightened evenly when you put it on.

A little smoke coming from the vent on start up is common, if it smokes after the fire is going it is usually a sign of a fuel/air flow mismatch (quite common on some stoves on low firing rates where you never get a steady fire).

Your gasket situation may contribute to that as well.

If you didn't tear the gasket you should only need to make sure you have the gasket evenly compressed.

It is also possible that your smokey smell in the house can be because of the smoke outside finding its way back in due to cracked sealant around the thimble on the outside of the house, windows that were operated during the warm season no longer close tightly or didn't get closed tightly.

Interior joints in the venting could have been disturbed by your cleaning, the #1 for this would be the clean out cap on the tee, with #2 being the saddle joint on the tee.
thanks! i dont think the gasket was torn but it may have. i think i will replace it for starters and try that. if i open the side up where the combustion fan is i can smell the smoke in there.
as far as the smoke from the vent, its strange because it never did that all last year except on startup. anyhow i will try the gasket and see what that does. thanks for the reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.