Questions about installing a chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karen

Hearth Supporter
Oct 5, 2009
North Liberty iowa
HI, I have recently purchased a slightly used wood burning stove with double walled stove pipe as well as double walled stainless steel chimney pipe. I would like to install it in the basement, go through the ceiling and outside just above the foundation and below the floor. There is about 10in of space there. How do I do this safely, please?

karen said:
HI, I have recently purchased a slightly used wood burning stove with double walled stove pipe as well as double walled stainless steel chimney pipe. I would like to install it in the basement, go through the ceiling and outside just above the foundation and below the floor. There is about 10in of space there. How do I do this safely, please?

If I understand you correctly, the answer is - you don't. The chimney pipe is likely 8" OD
(6" ID) and needs 2" of clearance to any combustible materials (actually, it may be more
than 2", if the combustible material is ABOVE the pipe). Might want to get a pro
to have a look and offer ideas.

My other house I put a stove in the basement. Hammer drilled and air chisled an 8'' hole through the basment wall. Mounted a Tee on the outside and ran tripple wall pipe up through a boxed in chase that was already on the end of the house.
The bad thing is trying to get all that cold air out of the flue before starting the stove up.
I took a pc of plywood (the size of the stove door opening) and cut a hole and stuck the exhaust end of a vacume cleaner in it then just blow the cold air out.

Status
Not open for further replies.