Questions about replacing old natural gas Traditions Earth Stove with new Vermont Castings Radiance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Drew502

Oct 17, 2022
Hood River
A few questions about this replacement:

1. What adapter do I need to use the old 6/4 duravent pipe?
2. The new stove will use an analog millivolt thermostat (same as old) there is a red wire and a white at the stove end of the wire - which wire goes to which terminal?
3. The included gas line on the new stove appears to be a smaller diameter than the gas line for the old stove. The old line is long enough but the new attached line on the VC is not - should I get a longer gas line that is identical to the one on the new stove?
4. Do I need to use pipe tape on the gas fitting attachments?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Attachments

• Valve.pdf
    703.3 KB · Views: 121
1. I sincerely doubt you’ll find an adapter, but check with tour local hearth shop. If you can’t find one, new vent is required.
2. The wires are not polarized, so either wire can go to any terminal that is labeled with the letters “TH.”
3. Get a reducer to adapt the old gas line to the new one.
4. Use pipe dope that is appropriate for the type of fuel (LP or NG) that the unit is designed to burn. If you have a situation where both connectors are brass, no thread sealer is needed. Brass to steel requires thread sealer.

Reactions: Drew502
1. I sincerely doubt you’ll find an adapter, but check with tour local hearth shop. If you can’t find one, new vent is required.
2. The wires are not polarized, so either wire can go to any terminal that is labeled with the letters “TH.”
3. Get a reducer to adapt the old gas line to the new one.
4. Use pipe dope that is appropriate for the type of fuel (LP or NG) that the unit is designed to burn. If you have a situation where both connectors are brass, no thread sealer is needed. Brass to steel requires thread sealer.
Thank you so much for your reply!

Just to clarify, the larger diameter of the old gas line is not an issue? The only issue is the ability to connect it to the new stove?

Yep. Most gas fireplaces & stoves have a 3/8” short section of gas line off the valve. Most of the gas lines feeding these units are roughed in at 1/2” diameter, & a simple reducer is used to make the connection.

Yep. Most gas fireplaces & stoves have a 3/8” short section of gas line off the valve. Most of the gas lines feeding these units are roughed in at 1/2” diameter, & a simple reducer is used to make the connection.
Thank you again for your reply!

So, should I use a male/male 1/2" to 3/8" coupler to connect the existing standing gas line to the stock line attached to the new stove?

If the threads match at each end & seal tightly, go for it. Pictures of what you have for gas line will help…

Silver line is existing supply - the black line/ with the shut off coupler is attached to new stove. It looks like the female end of the coupler and the female end of the existing supply line are both about 3/4".

7C791E0F-A0EC-4B17-8388-1EF413FC736A.jpeg 1363BECB-6CEB-4DD2-A990-00343C23FC64.jpeg 3CD70D68-381F-4ECF-8D1C-D8003937AF72.jpeg

Both connectors have pipe threads, but it’s a little difficult to see exactly what size they are from the side. Can you post a pic looking straight into the ends, side by side?
You may be able to make the connection between them with a short nipple of 1/2” pipe.

This is the fitting that you need. The straight end is threaded into the red handle shut off valve and the flare end is connected to the silver appliance connector.

flare-fitting-flarexmips.jpg

No. You need hi-temp RTV Silicone.
Ok, thank you Bob.

Do you think it really needs the 3 bolts to hold it down also? They are recessed a couple of inches and it will be quite difficult to get them started w/o dropping them and having them go who knows where into the stove.

Ok, thank you Bob.

Do you think it really needs the 3 bolts to hold it down also? They are recessed a couple of inches and it will be quite difficult to get them started w/o dropping them and having them go who knows where into the stove.
Yes. I know it’s a PITA, but all are required by code. I have installed that adapter on MANY VC units. Use a magnetic Philips head screwdriver & take your time. You’ll get em in.

Yes. I know it’s a PITA, but all are required by code. I have installed that adapter on MANY VC units. Use a magnetic Philips head screwdriver & take your time. You’ll get em in.
Ok, thank you so much for your responses - very much appreciated!

No. You need hi-temp RTV Silicone.
The pictured Stove and Gasket cement came with the new VC stove and the directions indicated to use it at the juncture of the starter tube. Instead, I used high temp RTV silicone instead as suggested - out of curiosity, why is it better to use the RTV silicone instead of the included "Stove and Gasket Cement"?

The only time I have used the stove and gasket cement is when I was reassembling cast iron plates together to prevent leaks at seams, of for cementing gaskets in place.

The only time I have used the stove and gasket cement is when I was reassembling cast iron plates together to prevent leaks at seams, of for cementing gaskets in place.
I think I used it years ago on a wood stove gasket and I remember it being a goopy mess. Seems like the high temp RTV silicone is the better product for my current use. It seems odd that Vermont Castings included the cement rather than silicone.