Questions For Oslo Owners

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds better. I would expect about 400 after 30 minutes with a good starting fire. Our stove can take longer to reach that temp. There's a lot of mass in it.

Keep us posted. I'm curious about the size splits are going into the stove. If a split is split in half and then remeasured for moisture is it still reading <20%?

Battenkiller said:
Very short chimney coupled with an oversized flue pipe diameter = lazy burn. Gases expand inside the larger diameter pipe, slowing down in velocity, increasing residence time inside the flue, cooling off more and therefore reducing the temperature differential between average gas temp inside the flue and the temperature of the outside air. That will automatically reduce the draw of your chimney by a lot more than having a shorter chimney will. Your old stove was designed for a 8" minimum flue size, whereas the Oslo is designed for an 8" maximum flue size. I think you'll be happiest with a 6" flue pipe diameter and a bit more height, particularly in your climate.

+1

nelraq said:
Hi BeGreen,

My chimney comes straight up from the back of the stove - 13.5 feet. No elbows at all. I added the 4 feet you suggested earlier today, but it made no difference. Just before dark, I added another piece for a total add on of 5.5 feet.

Just lit a fire - I think it could be burning a little more vigourously - hard to tell, but will see how fast the thermometer rises.

I live in the Okanagan Valley - in a town called Vernon - just north of Kelowna.

As to my wood: I just purchased a good quality moisture meter and checked it against a pro model at a local sawmill - it is dead accurate!

Since the meter acquisition, I have measured each and every split that goes into the Oslo. Moisture has varied from around 6% to 14%. I haven't put anything in over 14%. the fire going right now is a mix of fir and pine - the fir was 11%; the pine was 9 %.

Just checked the stove -- the temp is up to 400 degrees after light up 30 minutes ago. That's way better than normal. the stove , however, was still warm from this pm's fire. That does make a difference. Looking forward to lighting a fire in the am when the stove is cold.

Glad to hear that you are making headway !
400 in 30 min. good deal.
keep us posted

WoodButcher

nelraq said:
Moisture has varied from around 6% to 14%. I haven't put anything in over 14%. the fire going right now is a mix of fir and pine - the fir was 11%; the pine was 9 %.

Where are you getting wood that tests so low for MC? 6% is usually only achievable in a kiln. In my area (river valley), I could keep wood in a dry shed for 1000 years and it would never get lower than about 12% MC.

Just checked the stove -- the temp is up to 400 degrees after light up 30 minutes ago. That's way better than normal. the stove , however, was still warm from this pm's fire. That does make a difference. Looking forward to lighting a fire in the am when the stove is cold.

This doesn't seem at all right. I can't imagine having a stove that I was happy with when it "only" took 30 minutes to reach 400ºF. And you're not the only one complaining. There must be some common denominator that is responsible for different folks with different flues having the same poor performance.

Has anyone contacted Jotul U.S. for an answer? Maybe it is possible there is some irregularity with the intake air.

Just for giggles, I timed the sequence of yesterday's cold start in my stove. It is very similar in size to the Oslo, but without the firebrick. We slept in yesterday morning, and the house was 72º when we woke up at 10AM. I didn't even bother to look at the stove until almost 2PM, then I decided to go down and fire her up. I pulled the small bed of coals (less than a quart total) over to the side and shoveled out about 4 scoops of ashes. Then I arranged the coals to the front of the air inlet holes, closed the doors and opened the air all the way. I spent about a minute getting together a handful of suitable kindling (from 1/8" to 3/4" thick), then knelt down and opened the doors again. There was a nice tight little bed of red coals. Took the temps with my IR and wrote them down along with the time.

1:40 - Stove was at 110º, flue at 103º. Placed three or four tiny slivers of wood on the coals to get some flame. Two puffs of air and they ignited. Placed progressively larger split kindling. I always use fast burning wood for kindling, split to various sizes and left in open crate to get extremely dry. The wood de jour yesterday was cherry. After I got the little splits burning nicely, I shut the doors and listened. After about another minute, I could already hear the stove pulling strongly.

1:42 - Stove was at 219º, flue at 205º. Opened the doors to find the small charge blazing away. Put two more small splits (about 2" thick) crossed over the top and shut the doors again.

1:43 - Stove at 260º, flue at 263º.

1:44 - Stove at 361º, flue at 345º.

1:45 - Stove at 370º, flue at 377º. Already almost to 400º after 5 minutes.

1:47 - Stove at 480º, flue at 360º. I could tell that the little charge was already leveling out since the flue temps weren't really rising anymore. I opened the doors again and there was a real nice fire inside. I put 5 fair sized splits of cherry on top , leaving adequate air space for them to develop plenty of flame. Closed the doors again. Ordinarily, this is the way things go up to this point and I go do a few things around the shop while the stove heats up. Yesterday I just watched and timed things.

1:48 - Stove at 462º (dropped a bit because the new wood was shielding the top from the flames), flue at 284º (way down because the new wood hadn't really taked off yet).

1:49 - Stove at 500º, flue at 401º.

1:50 - Stove at 534º, flue at 494º.

1:51 - Stove at 578º, flue at 463º.

1:52 - Stove at 625º, flue at 630º. At this point, I opened the top loading door and it was a regular inferno in there. Air was rushing into the box from the top and feeding the fire, flames licking past the loading door opening and rocketing up the flue pipe (who says top loaders smoke when opened?). I quickly dropped four large hickory splits on top and closed the lid.

2:00 - Temps dropped temporarily after adding the hickory, but steadily climbed back up over the next 8 minutes. By 2:00, 20 minutes after I put the very first match-size pieces of wood on the coals, I had a full stove that was at 610º and the flue at 583º. I shut the bypass damper and heard the groan roar (and she is a groan at this point in the burn) as the flames changed direction from updraft mode to a horizontal burn across the bottom. Went outside to check the chimney. There was a faint amount of smoke coming out, but nowhere near as much as I got when I tried a full load at the very start. At 2:05, the smoke stopped and all I could see was heat waves. I went inside to find the stove cruising at 583º and the flue at 302º. I took various readings all around the stove and got temps ranging from 400-800º. Plenty of heat pushing out from the stove.

I don't even have to work at this to make my stove behave this way. I've even had to learn to only start with a small amount of kindling or the flue temps will rise so dramatically that the magnetic thermometer gets pinned at 900º and slides down the pipe. It doesn't take much wood at all to get superior heat from my stove. Are the new stoves that restrictive in load size. I keep reading how they work best with a full load and a complete burn cycle down to a coal bed in between fillings. What if I don't want to burn that way? I can make a flash fire in a cool stove with five pounds of wood and have the stove hit over 500º in no time. Is it all the firebrick in the new stoves that causes this extreme delay? If so, then why are so many folks bragging about the quick heat they get from the Oslo? Do some folks struggle to get adequate flue temps as well. Seems the firebrick would have an advantage there by keeping the inside of stove hotter. Can the Oslo be that draft sensitive? Or is it something else?

Definitely sounds like a draft issue . . . no problems at all here with a 6 inch chimney (20-24 foot in length).

I would take Woodbutcher's suggestions too and just check the insulation blanket . . . and make sure there is no excess build up of fly ash on top of the blanket.

In my own case I can get the stove going from cold start to fully blown secondaries in a half hour . . . usually the side door only stays open for 10-15 minutes at start up. When the temps on my Condar probe thermometer (in double wall pipe) hit 400 or so the door is closed . . . and when the temp hits 500-600 on the flue thermometer I begin dialing back the air on the stove . . . and then the magic starts.

I do find that weather really impacts things. I have had one fire in the Fall where I had to open a window to get a better draft . . . a very unusual occurence. Also, last week I ended up with some fantastically long overnight fires due to mild weather (right at or near freezing temps). I find that once the outside temps dip down to 10 or below zero I do not get as long burns or maybe it's just that I find myself wanting more heat sooner. ;)

This doesn’t seem at all right. I can’t imagine having a stove that I was happy with when it “only” took 30 minutes to reach 400ºF.

Different stoves have different warmup times. Different fuel will also affect heating up time. And there can be a big differences in the way folks start the fire.

Our old pre-EPA 602 would be at 400 in 15 minutes with the right fuel. The airflow is more controlled on modern units. From stone cold, our Castine could take 30 minutes to come up from cold to 400F. Though sometimes it would do better. It has less mass than an Oslo and that was with softwood. Here is what it did with BioBricks.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/BioBricks/

The almost 600 lb. T6 takes longer yet. It may take an hour to get the top to 400 °F. However, the opposite is also true. Even after the fire has died down, the mass of the stove continues to release a lot of heat.

Hi folks,
Thanks for taking the time and effort to troubleshoot my problem.

To answer some of the questions asked since last night:

I am using some pine and fir that has been in my woodshed for several years. I resplit everything to give me small splits about the size of a 2x 3.
the moisture testing is done on the freshly split wood.

I tried the draft test with the additional chimney sections. You can certainly feel the air being sucked into the intake. I just took the extra chimney pipe off and tried the same test with my original set up. I can still feel the air flowing by my fingers - maybe not going quite as fast as with the extra pipe.

I haven't been into the stove to check the insulation blanket etc. However - it was a new stove back in December - and it was a very sluggish performer even when brand new.

My fire this am was Ok - but not spectacular! Stovetop was up to 400 in about 45 minutes. Still better than before though!

I am going to try the stove with the additional pipe for a few more fires - then decide what to do.

I already have just under 4 feet of chimney above the roof. Adding the additional 5.5 feet sure makes the chimney high- and unattractive! (doesn't bother me if it solves the problem).

Do any of you have metal chimney sticking up that high on the roof? I will definitely have to brace it if I put the additional chimney on.
Also, how do you get at the chimney to clean it. The cap would be 4 feet+ above my head!! Do you take the top section of the chimney off to clean it?

nelraq said:
I haven't been into the stove to check the insulation blanket etc. However - it was a new stove back in December - and it was a very sluggish performer even when brand new.

Hi Nelraq,

You really don't have to open up the stove (i.e. take the top off) to check the insulation blanket--you can either check it from inside the firebox (as the front edge of the blanket should be more or less even with the front edge of the baffle and laying flat) also, you can check it from the 6" flue outlet on top of the stove, same thing, just make sure it's laying flat by sticking your hand in the flue outlet and feeling around.

I'm going to switch my stack around (6" pipe, taller, and 2 45's instead of one 90) and see if that helps.

I'm still not sure why this stove smokes so much even with very dry wood and the secondaries fully lit........

NP

nelraq said:
Hi BeGreen,

My chimney comes straight up from the back of the stove - 13.5 feet. No elbows at all. I added the 4 feet you suggested earlier today, but it made no difference. Just before dark, I added another piece for a total add on of 5.5 feet.

Just lit a fire - I think it could be burning a little more vigourously - hard to tell, but will see how fast the thermometer rises.

I live in the Okanagan Valley - in a town called Vernon - just north of Kelowna.

As to my wood: I just purchased a good quality moisture meter and checked it against a pro model at a local sawmill - it is dead accurate!

Since the meter acquisition, I have measured each and every split that goes into the Oslo. Moisture has varied from around 6% to 14%. I haven't put anything in over 14%. the fire going right now is a mix of fir and pine - the fir was 11%; the pine was 9 %.

Are these moisture readings taken on FRESHLY split surfaces? If not, then the readings don't really indicate the moisture content of the split, but the drier outer layer. The numbers sound too low to be taken on fresh surfaces.

Hi Grommal,

In post #31 I indicated that the moisture readings I'm giving you are from the FRESHLY split surfaces of freshly split wood - (large splits that have been in my woodshed for several years). I also outlined in a previous thread that I am using a new moisture tester that, as soon as I bought it, I took it to a local sawmill to compare it to their $2500 unit. Mine was dead on in every test.

For everone's info: there are moisture testers that are way out in their readings and others that are accurate. My first tester was an $80 unit from a "Canadian Tire" (hardware store). In every test/comparison I put it through it was never accurate - always 5 to 10% too high. Took it back and bought the "Timber Check".

nelraq said:
Hi Grommal,

In post #31 I indicated that the moisture readings I'm giving you are from the FRESHLY split surfaces of freshly split wood - (large splits that have been in my woodshed for several years). I also outlined in a previous thread that I am using a new moisture tester that, as soon as I bought it, I took it to a local sawmill to compare it to their $2500 unit. Mine was dead on in every test.

For everone's info: there are moisture testers that are way out in their readings and others that are accurate. My first tester was an $80 unit from a "Canadian Tire" (hardware store). In every test/comparison I put it through it was never accurate - always 5 to 10% too high. Took it back and bought the "Timber Check".
Sorry nelraq, I missed that sentence in post 31. That's some DRY wood!

Status
Not open for further replies.