questions on purchasing first wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UpInSmoke

Hearth Supporter
Dec 15, 2006
Southeast Iowa
Hello, I am a virgin woodstove buyer. I am considering purchasing an older model (1981) hearthstone2 soapstone wood stove. The dealer has replaced the guts of the stove and will be replacing the gaskets and glass. I don't have a lot of money, and can purchase this stove for about $750 a similar model new is the Heritage about $2500. The stones appear to be fine and I didn't see any problems with it appearance wise.

I know it isn't a lot of information but does this sound like a good way to go rather than buying a cheaper cast iron stove?

I will be heating about 2000sq ft on two levels (modular on walkout finished basement ... stove in basement). Are the modern stoves worth the extra $1700 bucks? Or does this sound like a good starter stove?

I am glad i read about the vogelzang?<-- or however it is spelled. I almost bought one.
I also looked at a Drolet Wood Stove — 90,000 BTU, Model# DB07200 $799.

My wife liked soapstone and from what i read it sounds like a good stove? Any Ideas? Thank you for your time. I am sure when i purchase a stove i will be asking other questions...one way of learning i guess. (Don't know how to put those smilely faces on!)

yes its a good stove, and that price doenst seem to far out of line. Dylan should speak up here soon, he is a expert on vintage Hearthstone stoves. Newer stoves will be a bit more efficient, but if you have a budget, that older hearthstone might be the ticket.

Hrm, personally that would not be the stove I would go with, particularly for 750.

For that price, you should at least be able to get something in the more modern realm. For instance, there are more than two or three vermont castings units on EBAY that are pre-crappy period for much less than that. The old hearthstone, imo, is lacking in a lot of features and is old and a bit ugly too! Of course that's just my opinion talking, its really up to you.

But I believe that if you keep your eyes on ebay, you will certainly find better deals on better stoves imho.

Corie said:
Hrm, personally that would not be the stove I would go with, particularly for 750.

For that price, you should at least be able to get something in the more modern realm. For instance, there are more than two or three vermont castings units on EBAY that are pre-crappy period for much less than that. The old hearthstone, imo, is lacking in a lot of features and is old and a bit ugly too! Of course that's just my opinion talking, its really up to you.

But I believe that if you keep your eyes on ebay, you will certainly find better deals on better stoves imho.

It's probably a good stove and a good price for a nice looking stove, but consider a century or englander too. Modern englander is very efficient, although not as nice looking, it will heat very well. Another option, but much less heat. for around 1000 a VC intrepid CAT is also a nice stove.

No matter what stove you get It will be quite a task to heat 2000 sq ft from a basement. that basement would have to be somewhere in the 80's degree
range to effetc the living space above If you have the floor insulated Add another it might take getting it into the 90's
wood stoves are zone heaters and are best placed in the zone you are trying to heat. Unless your concrete basement walls are insulated,
most of the heat is going to be sucked out of those walls and you will be dissatisfied with the heat production of any stove

A couple od stoves come to mind like blaze king with a huge fire box May A PE sumit I belive is the reason we are having a warner than normal winter t
he sumit usesr have influenced the climate.

The stove itself is close to 25 yeas old it is soap stone on cast iron meaning the cast iron plates as sealed with refactory cement.
To have a completely rebuilt stove requires a bit more than some gasketing.It would require a total rebuild,

It is possible the joints and seals are ok But you should be wondering, but for how long . To me, you are living on borrowed time with a stove of that age

If it needs total rebuilding in a year or so and you have it done professionally It is no longer a bargin price, the rebuild can cost more than your purchase price
At that point you will have wished you bought a more modern stove in the first place since you paid as much, but you still have early 80's technology.

Now if mechanically inclined, and willing to take on a total rebuild, then this might be a favorable situation.

In a way I am disscourging you but also trying to get you to look at a larger picture. I think one has to set realistic goals. $750 may sound like a good price,
but you are paying more for that stove then when it was new 25 years latter.

Thank you very much...I have never logged on to any forums before but i was at a loss on who to ask for guidance, the response was great and honest....It really means a lot. I don't believe i will be purchasing this unit now.

I'll be sure to check out the stoves mentioned.

You guys probably save me some headaches!
Keep up the caring...the world needs more of it :) (hey i figured out smileys)

UpInSmoke said:
Thank you very much...I have never logged on to any forums before but i was at a loss on who to ask for guidance, the response was great and honest....It really means a lot. I don't believe i will be purchasing this unit now.

I'll be sure to check out the stoves mentioned.

You guys probably save me some headaches!
Keep up the caring...the world needs more of it :) (hey i figured out smileys)
There is a LOT of great people to help you out.

Here's a budget stove likely capable of heating the area you want. It's new, EPA certified, wood thrifty, has big firebox, nice glass, and a couple people on this forum have installed them and like them from what I've heard so far. The EPA rating on newer stoves is a fine thing not just for pollution, but for being thrifty on the wood pile. They turn smoke that would otherwise be choking your neighbors, into room warming heat.

Nearly the same price as the old Hearthstone. Not as pretty unless you are into industrial design, but a real house warmer.

http://www.sutherlandlumber.com/product.asp?time=2406&sku=6808463

Hey Mo View the Post of the Video at least you can see the face behind that phone voice Dale looks the same in the Video as he did last Tuesday
And he did ask how you were

UpInSmoke,

You may also wish to keep your eye on Craigslist for a good deal. I was able to get a 2002 Country striker with both the interior double wall pipe, and the class A chimney all for $950. I had previously priced out the chimney with all the parts before and it would have cost $5-600 for the chimney alone. Good deals can be found, even this time of year. Good luck in your search.

-Kevin

Definitely watch Craigs List, I picked up my Avalon for $200.00!

Dylan said:
I don't know if you can increase your budget to $1000, or if Midlothian, Illinois, is within you driving range (I realize, that travel is expensive these days.), but I think this

http://tinyurl.com/yzpcln

is a purrrty nice stove. The seller might not get her/his price and may let is go for less.

Ask some other Oslo owners to weigh-in here.

Jotul's blue-black enamel finish is GORGEOUS.....it goes with any-and-everythang.

Uh - regarding the stove on eBay...where is the ash door and drawer??? Maybe I'm just not seeing it right, but this is the stove that I have (and love) but the ash door on the eBay stove doesn't appear to be on the stove.

but those Illini don’t know value....or natural gas is too cheap at the moment.
We’ll see what the seller has up his/her sleeve, next

I think you will find the area of that stove is basically the middle of Chicago suburbia. Ain't no one in there right mind gonna go after that stove. And I only live 100 miles away.

If you are a handy guy and want to heat the basement then you might be okay spending up to $200 for a non-rebuilt HS-II. If it has been rebuilt and guaranteed for one year you may be okay spending up to $500. But only to heat the basement. You will not be able to heat the upper floors with that stove (or any stove, for that matter).

I have rebuilt several HS-II's and it is not easy. I could not do it in less than four hours and there is no way I could re-sell the stove for less than $1000. This would be a DIY project only. I recently took in a Heritage (Catalytic EPA) and will re-sell it for about what your guy wants for the HS-II. But that is only because it does not need a rebuild.

In the used stove market, a good steel stove will be best for most users. Easy to clean up. If you are more handy, a good deal on a cast iron stove can be had. Jotul, VC, Lopi, Avalon, Regency, Country. All can be good in the used marketplace, as well as others. You may get more features for less money than a comparably priced Englander, Drolet or Century. One advantage to a new stove is a full warranty and more BTU/s for a smaller price.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.