Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oknev

Jan 21, 2011
TX
Hi I am new and hope you don't mind my question or questions. ha! We recently moved a home that had back to back brick masonry fireplaces. The fireplaces had to be taken out before the move because of the weight on the house. This is a house on piers and 2 story. Now, there is just a huge gapping hole where the fireplaces use to be. The cost to put them back is not in the budget after paying to have the house moved. So, I have been researching and I do know I want a soapstone but not sure because of price if that is what I will end up with. That is my goal tho. My question is can you put brick pavers underneath and behind the wood stoves? We want a hearth but would have to use the pavers instead of whole brick I would think. Also, I have been looking for pictures but can't seem to find many to look at. For those of you who are experienced with a soap stone or cast iron do you see a big difference? This will be our main source of heat.
Thanks

oknev said:
Hi I am new and hope you don't mind my question or questions. ha! We recently moved a home that had back to back brick masonry fireplaces. The fireplaces had to be taken out before the move because of the weight on the house. This is a house on piers and 2 story. Now, there is just a huge gapping hole where the fireplaces use to be. The cost to put them back is not in the budget after paying to have the house moved. So, I have been researching and I do know I want a soapstone but not sure because of price if that is what I will end up with. That is my goal tho. My question is can you put brick pavers underneath and behind the wood stoves? In terms of building the hearth you would need to check the manufacturer/stove's installation requirements . . . some stoves require only ember protection while others are pretty specific in how to build the hearth and may require a set insulation figure. If you are interested in soapstone stoves the two big manufacturers are Hearthstone and Woodstock (which sells direct) . . . you can check out the stoves and hearth requirements on-line. Also, I would suggest in either case you not just plunk down a set of pavers on the floor, but rather make sure you have a decent hearth -- these are easy to build and not all that expensive. We want a hearth but would have to use the pavers instead of whole brick I would think. Also, I have been looking for pictures but can't seem to find many to look at. For those of you who are experienced with a soap stone or cast iron do you see a big difference? Most of the folks who have gone from cast iron stoves to soapstone say that the stone stoves tend to have a "softer" heat and that the stone tends to retain the heat longer. My own opinion though is that both cast iron, steel and soapstone stoves will keep you warm . . . providing you size them correctly and run them correctly. Many of us folks use woodstoves as our main source of heat. This will be our main source of heat.
Thanks

Like Jake says, the hearth has to be built properly. There are requirements for insulation value to protect the wood floor below the hearth from the heat of the stove. The requirement varies between stoves. I'd take a look at a few stove manufacturers and models and figure out what the maximum requirement is, then build that, so in the future you can pick any stove you want. The insulation really isn't complicated - you need a certain thickness of an approved material and it isn't very expensive. Mostly the material used is something like cement board, but make sure you pick the right type since not all are rated for hearths. I think the thickness ends up being a few inches of material, so you might actually end up building more than necessary just for looks. There are a few stoves that require only a non-flammable floor, which I guess is because they don't throw a lot of heat at the floor. I think brick pavers, as long as they are non-flammable, are fine. So is most tile. however, by themselves they may not have the insulating value you need depending on the stove. Somewhere on this site are lots of threads about hearth construction.

As for the stove, I have never had a soapstone (I am not sure I have ever seen one), nor have I used a cat stove (I have seen one of those). There are lots of people who are happy with each kind of stove, so I think it boils down to personal preference. Get some firewood now and start seasoning it. All modern stoves work well only with dry wood.

Not sure what you mean by pavers, since pavers are whole bricks, just a different type of clay or fire. Are you talking about veneer bricks? If yes, they could certainly be used, as long as all the other code requirements are met.

If you use loose pavers, they will need a continuous, non-combustible barrier underneath. This could be a sheet of metal or cement board. The pavers should be held captive by a border so that they can't be accidentally kicked out of place. Whether this will meet the insulation requirements depends on the stove. It's a separate question and most important. There are stoves have just need simple ember protection and then stoves that need a very well insulated hearth.

Not all cast iron stove are created equal. Some are pure cast iron stoves and some are cast iron hybrids, with a steel stove core. The beauty of soapstone is its heat retention which gradually releases back into the room as the stove cools. We've found a similar effect with the Alderlea which is a cast iron hybrid.

There are lots of threads on this website which deal with types of stove (steel, cast iron, soapstone; cat or non-cat; EPA or exempt; etc.) as well as hearth, flue, and chimney requirements. You'll get a solid education if you use the search function on the site and spend time reading the threads. The info doesn't tend to become outdated overnight, so don't be put off reading threads that may have started a year or two ago.

After you've read up, you'll be able to ask informed questions targeted directly at your situation...welcome!

Thanks so much for all your input! I am so glad I found this forum and it keeps me up way too late reading all the information!
Because of price I will most likely be getting a cast iron stove not the soap stone.
Now, which one! ha!
Karen

Status
Not open for further replies.