Quick hearth question ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 1/3 is applied to the 13.5"/8.5" unshielded/shielded stove-wall distance given in the table (EDIT: this is wrong, only the 36" NFPA distance is reduced to 12"), so it's 4.5"/2.8" from the stove to the tile/durock if I understand correctly. Note the stovepipe still has to maintain 18 or 24.5" (double/single-wall respectively) from the unshielded sheetrock above the surround, or else the wall shield has to follow it up.

The manual is confusing, because it has the discussion of the wall shielding several pages after the table of clearances for unshielded, combustible walls. The table also combines the stovepipe-wall distance table with the stove-wall distance table, so, for instance, it has no entry for single-wall pipe installed on a shielded stove (only unshielded/single-wall and shielded/double wall). It could be written more clearly, in other words (hint, hint).

The wall shielding seems to reduce the space requirement considerably.

Well - we're burning. Will have pics later. For now I'm trying to get rid of this haze from the smelly curing paint! Hopefully it doesn't do this for long!

KWillets said:
The 1/3 is applied to the 13.5"/8.5" unshielded/shielded stove-wall distance given in the table, so it's 4.5"/2.8" from the stove to the tile/durock if I understand correctly. Note the stovepipe still has to maintain 18 or 24.5" (double/single-wall respectively) from the unshielded sheetrock above the surround, or else the wall shield has to follow it up.

The manual is confusing, because it has the discussion of the wall shielding several pages after the table of clearances for unshielded, combustible walls. The table also combines the stovepipe-wall distance table with the stove-wall distance table, so, for instance, it has no entry for single-wall pipe installed on a shielded stove (only unshielded/single-wall and shielded/double wall). It could be written more clearly, in other words (hint, hint).

I agree! I found the table VERY CONFUSING. Especially because EVERYWHERE else in the manual says 18" of clearance from single wall stove pipe to combustible wall (ie - pg 11). My stovepipe sits 22" from any sheetrocked surface . Burning 2.5 hours now, and all temps are certainly not too hot on any surface at this point.

By the way, where is the BEST location for the temp gauge to mount?

Thanks all ...

Attachments

• DSCF1929.JPG
    DSCF1929.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 261
Uh oh, I think it's overheating -- your walls have turned red!

Thanks for the pic; I'm thinking of something similar for our cabin.

KWillets said:
Uh oh, I think it's overheating -- your walls have turned red!

Thanks for the pic; I'm thinking of something similar for our cabin.

I love it so far. Been burning since 5:30pm, and the house thermostat is sitting 6 degrees above it's setting. Haven't heard the furnace all night. Just threw a couple more splits in, and I shall go to bed soon. I guess it will take me a while to learn how this baby wants to burn. So far, so good, only 6 pieces of wood used thus far.

KWillets said:
The 1/3 is applied to the 13.5"/8.5" unshielded/shielded stove-wall distance given in the table, so it's 4.5"/2.8" from the stove to the tile/durock if I understand correctly. Note the stovepipe still has to maintain 18 or 24.5" (double/single-wall respectively) from the unshielded sheetrock above the surround, or else the wall shield has to follow it up.

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! You are mixing two different sets of rules! (and yes I agree it's confusing, but wanted to straighten this out before it got someone in trouble... NFPA rules for a "generic" stove that has not been tested and listed by the manufacturer for closer clearances, is 36" to combustible material, which may be reduced by 2/3, or to 12" by using an NFPA approved protective wall (i.e. non-combustible on 1" spacers) You can use that set of values, OR the manufacturer tested and listed numbers in the way they are given. You MAY NOT reduce the manufacturer numbers by use of a wall, other than by the amount the manufacturer allows.

In this case, Crisnnik said his stove was at 12" so it passes under the 36" reduced by the heat wall rule (barely) It does NOT pass the manufacturer rule of 13.5" for a stove w/o the heat shields because the manual does not supply a value for an unshielded stove w/ a wall shield, and it's closer than 13.5". It also does not pass the rule for the 8.5" clearance since he doesn't have the stove heat shield.

Hope this makes sense...

Gooserider

That makes sense now. I realized they were 2 different sets of rules, but it was hard in reading to separate the two.

For peace of mind, I am going to look into the heat shields for the sides, just to absolutely sure. The wall was warm last night, but nothing out of control. I was very impressed with the stove, as it kept the furnace silent until about 5 am this morning; and that was without loading it up before bed. The chimney fire with my insert 2 years ago is still in the back of my mind ... but I will slowly get used to this, and hopefully I can get over my paranoia and run it overnight!

**Edit - On another note - If you seal and screw the stove pipe joint, does that not make it very difficult to remove it for cleaning? A couple of my neighbors are only screwed for that reason. Looking for insight?

Hopefully it's clear that I'm no expert. Thanks for the clarification. We're definitely having some problems reading this document.

So, the manufacturer has tested two configurations with tighter clearances than the NFPA, but neither includes wall shielding? I take it that only those specific configurations can be used in place of NFPA.

KWillets said:
Hopefully it's clear that I'm no expert. Thanks for the clarification. We're definitely having some problems reading this document.

So, the manufacturer has tested two configurations with tighter clearances than the NFPA, but neither includes wall shielding? I take it that only those specific configurations can be used in place of NFPA.

I haven't read the manual myself, have to admit :red:, so I'm going on what Crisnnik says is in there, and assuming it's correct. If he's wrong, so am I... What he said was there was two tested and listed configurations - 13.5" for the stove w/ no wall protection at all, and 8.5" for the stove with BOTH wall protection and shields. Those listed configs are the only two that can be used instead of NFPA, as long as the code official allows it (they CAN require strict adherence to NFPA)

And to answer Crisnnik's other question - if you seal the pipe joints with a bead of stove cement, it won't make the cleaning job significantly harder. The stuff is very brittle and will crack and fall apart if disturbed significantly - so as soon as you take the screws out of your pipes and start wiggling the joints, the cement will break loose. Take the pipes apart, clean everything, including brushing off the old cement, then put it back together with fresh - no problem. One thing I have found helpful is to "key" mark the pipes with a Sharpie before I take them apart so that I can more easily get them lined back up when reassembling them.

Gooserider

What it says is "13.5 inches corner to wall, single wall, no heat shields. Then 8.5 inches, double wall, with heat shields". I was hoping Mike would chime in on this, because the single double part sounds like the stove pipe, and the heat shields, no heat shields sounds like the stove itself. I ordered the side heat shields anyway, if for no other reason, it's another layer of protection for my own piece of mind. I do, however, feel that the manual needs to be revised to be a bit more clear.

I promise to let this thread die soon, but I want to report that this baby burns nice. Pretty much burns at 425 degrees (therm at 18" from the top of the stove). House is 1800 ft, 900 here, and 900 upstairs. Temp on first floor (with stove) is currently 79, and upstairs is 75. I can see more oil sitting in the tank this winter! Thanks for all input, I really appreciate it. And I will frequent the forums, as I work as a district manager for the Geek Squad, so I am ALWAYS on my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.