quick question about break in fires

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rygar

Burning Hunk
Sep 23, 2013
Hoping for some good input. i am in a bit of a predicament.
so i need to have my oil tank changed on saturday and am nearly empty which was the plan, so i am trying to avoid heat all together. the house is 63 which is fine, but i have a 2 year old so the wife is getting strict.

i have a wonderful wood stove that i wasnt totally prepared to use. i did do a small break in fire eysterday 10 pieces of 1/2" oak. burned for a good 10-15min. my question to you is will i be able to do like 2 more break in fires during the day today to get the moisture out of the sandstone and get a good fire going when it gets dark tonight or should i just get her going?

this is my 3rd winter with a clydesdale 8491. want to treat the stove well so she treats me well back.

I would think (not an expert on any stove) that you should be able to start a slow easy fire in the stove and maintain it throughout the day and then get her really hot tonight without issue. Water won't take long to evaporate once the stove gets going and realistically I would not expect any issue if you got her hot now. Unless the stove just gets thrashed with water I think the amount of moisture would be very minimal after 3 yrs.

Reactions: rygar
I would think (not an expert on any stove) that you should be able to start a slow easy fire in the stove and maintain it throughout the day and then get her really hot tonight without issue. Water won't take long to evaporate once the stove gets going and realistically I would not expect any issue if you got her hot now. Unless the stove just gets thrashed with water I think the amount of moisture would be very minimal after 3 yrs.

not experienced with soapstone but if you leave enough time to heat the stove walls evenly through the thickness you'll be good

A hot fire in a cold stove will create a difference in temp AND thermal expansion from inside to outside that creates internal stresses and possible cracks.

I'd start a small fire early in the day which will allow slow heat transfer through the soapstone reducing inside/outside diferential and therefore stresses

When i was breaking in my new stove this year I did one small fire and went to bed then the next day another small fire earlier and let it die off then a third small fire that same day that I let burn down a bit before I threw some big logs on it and got it nice and hot (I was needing to cure the paint still).

My bricks aren't sandstone but if we're just talking break in fires then i don't see any issues doing both today before you get it going tonight. I wouldn't just light her up if it was me without doing the break ins though because I wouldn't want to develop cracks or weak spots in the bricks.

thank you good sirs.

i figured i will listen to everyone. i just did a 2nd larger break in fire over lunch and let it die out. then this evening i will start a 3rd small fire and keep it going for an hour or so then add some logs. should cover all the bases.

Status
Not open for further replies.