rais opus

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

koodjack

Jan 25, 2012
nh
hi I am new here, I would like to know any feedback on rais opus and also on woodstock keystone. I am still tryng to decide which stove to go to. Thank you so much :)

koodjack said:
hi I am new here, I would like to know any feedback on rais opus and also on woodstock keystone. I am still tryng to decide which stove to go to. Thank you so much :)

I can say that your reference to the Rais Opus is the very first that I have seen on this site. I will not speak of it for lack of any info. On the other hand, the keystone seems to get good reviews and of course Woodstock is one of the most reputable names in the market place for wood stoves. Hopefully somebody will chime in on the Rais, but I sure wouldn't be afraid of going the direction of a Woodstock stove.

And welcome to the forum.

Precaud has a Nestor Martin X33 type stove they have designs like the Rais Opus.

Maybe he will chime in on this post.

I cannot help with the Opus, never seen one. But generally, I can add something about Rais. We've had a Rais since the early nineties and used it daily. This one is a model with an oven in it, and for almost 20 years it has heated one area of our home and in it I've baked all our bread and etc.

The stove is very well made, as well-made as any stove I've had or used. High quality materials and construction. I have had to do no repairs in constant use over two decades.

Welcome. The two stoves are quite different. I can't speak for the Opus, but I do know a family with an earlier Rais, similar to the Gabo. It has been an excellent stove for their little place. The Opus is small and should be used as an area or room heater. Rais's quality is excellent. The Keystone has larger capacity, a different combustion technology and I would expect much longer burntimes. For this reason it is better suited if the goal is whole house heat in a moderate climate or comfortable heating of a reasonably insulated, 900-1400 sq ft area in a colder climate. We have several happy Keystone owners here.

You might also want to check out prices. High end, decorator European stoves are quite dear here. If the Opus is right-sized and cost is no object, maybe also look at the Wittus stoves. Their Cubic series is similar to the Rais Opus. The xeoos Twinfire series is wild and a bigger heater. Here's the Twinfire catalog:

http://www.wittus.com/catalogs/twinfire web.pdf

As BeGreen said, the two stoves you're chosen are quite different. Others can weigh in on the Keystone; the Opus is similar in concept to my Nestor Martin, so I'll point out a few things.

The Opus is a large, heavy stove with a small firebox (14.5"W x 15"D x 16"H, but it's a trapezoid inside so that width is only at the front). Given this combination of factors, I am skeptical of their output claims. Note that EPA testing showed maximum output of almost half of their advertised level. I'd reduce their heating capacity claims by at least 20% unless your space is extremely well insulated. Also, if you will be buying your wood, make sure your supplier can furnish it in 14" length.

These vertically-displaced stoves are meant to be burned with lively flames. And although the firebox is taller than deep or wide, they generally don't burn well when wood is stacked up to fill the firebox. (That doesn't stop the manufacturer from claiming all of that space as firebox volume...). So the general idea is that they are at their best when small to medium sized loads are burned vigorously. Plan on restoking every couple hours.

Something else to consider with any small stove is that, when burned continuously, coals tend to build up quickly, especially in a stove with a small floor surface area. It really helps if there's an under-fire air mechanism built into the design to burn down these coals. The Opus doesn't have that.

I'm a big fan of this type of stove, but this particular unit is designed more with aesthetics than practicality in mind.

One very nice thing about the Keystone is they are presently on sale with a savings over $900. Still, I much prefer the Fireview but each person has his own tastes.

Hi thank you guys for all the helpful response. I saw an ad on boston craigslist for rais opus for 2k I like the modern look but I read a lot of positive reviews on the Woodstock Keystone. I aslo saw and an ad for scan 5-2 for $2200, anybodyhave any experience on this stove. You response is greatly appreciated. Thank You

You may want to start another thread with Scan 5-2 in the title. Many folks with one won't think to look at this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.