Raised Hearth Pad question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinmoelk

Hearth Supporter
Okay, I'm playing on the forum and designing my hearth pad and reduced clearance wall. It's my understanding that the reduced clearance wall must have a 1" air space from all sides. Okay, no problem. But if I were to build a raised hearth pad in front of the wall, then the pad would block the air space on the bottom of the reduced clearance wall. I figure I have 2 options, but wanted some opinions from the mighty forum.

Option one would be to also have an air channel provided under the raised hearth pad. But the problem with that is the termination point at the floor. You'd have to have a screen or holes to allow air flow to move from the front of the hearth pad all the way to the wall and then up and out.

Option two would be to build the raised hearth pad flat and tight to the ground. Where the wall met with the hearth pad there would be an air space there. In other words, an air space above the finished level of the hearth pad at the bottom of the wall.

What would look good? Is there a better set up that I'm not thinking about?

Should I even worry about the reduced clearance wall since I now have the Country Striker S160?

-Kevin

The wall heat shield need only be open on bottom and top. There is no reason, even with a raised hearth why the opening can't be above the raised hearth. Just start the heat shield an inch or two above the hearth. That said, there is no reason why the heat shield can't start below the hearth if you like that look better, as long as air can circulate behind the heat shield you're ok.

Take a look at this for construction ideas.
http://tinyurl.com/nmmt3

Attachments

• shield.jpg
    shield.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 865
Thanks BeGreen. I did receive a manual today from Country. My required clearance is only 8". Amazing. Considering the mammoth hearth I was going to build to accomodate the unlisted stove just having a new stove has reduced the necessary space I need. I'm wondering now if I even need the close clearance wall. I might just put durorock directly over the drywall, then slate tiles. I think that will look better than having an exposed air space behind the wall.

Regardless, thanks for the link on the ideas. I'll take a good look.

-Kevin

I just have sheetrock walls behind the stove for now. The Castine with the rear heatshield also has close clearances. Sounds like you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.